Divine Inspiration or Divine Dictation?

Started by Phillip V, April 02, 2009, 01:38:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 02, 2009, 10:14:52 AM

Anyway the idea of a Catholic Bible Study group seems like a ridiculous attempt at conformity to a Protestant mindset.  Though I imagine 'Church Fathers Study' would be less popular.  This week: the monophysite heresy!

Heh, reminds me of the time I was forced to take "Catholic lessons' in order to get married.

The priest was a charming old dude who looked sort of like a dapper Satan. When we begain the "lesson", he discovered I was interested in history and his face fairly lit up. We spent two hours a week enjoyably discussing various Medieval heresies, with a range and freedom that was quite refereshing - he had a lot to say about the Cathars and Bogomils I remember, and about hatred of the flesh and its influence on medieval Catholicism (being Ukranian Rite he was scathing about Catholic priestly celebacy). Also there was some significant difference in the hand gestures used in the blessing which escapes me now.

What this all had to do with the ostensible purpose of the visits I'm not sure, but it was lots of fun. More fun than the dreary stuff I was no doubt supposed to be getting, I'm sure.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Phillip V on April 02, 2009, 03:21:34 AM
I yield that the theologian is well-read and possesses the tools better for Biblical interpretation, but I would be even more wary of him considering my wariness of the Bible. From a Scriptural point of view, Jesus shat on such "educated" people in comparison to prostitutes.

Can I ask why you were at a bible study group then?  I've never been part of one but I'd imagine that other than being a mixer for Christian kids, it is also a place where the group reads the bible and thinks about what the passages mean.  It seems rather puerile (and counterpurpose) to go to such a group and say that something (e.g. an interpretation of a parts of 1 Corinthians) they are discussing is unimportant.  Why exactly would one do that?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on April 02, 2009, 10:56:23 AM
[Can I ask why you were at a bible study group then?  I've never been part of one but I'd imagine that other than being a mixer for Christian kids, it is also a place where the group reads the bible and thinks about what the passages mean.  It seems rather puerile (and counterpurpose) to go to such a group and say that something (e.g. an interpretation of a parts of 1 Corinthians) they are discussing is unimportant.  Why exactly would one do that?

How is it puerile to share your thoughts on a bible passage?  That is precisely the purpose in my mind.  If you feel this passage is unimportant you should be free to give your reflections on it in a bible study.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on April 02, 2009, 10:59:51 AM
How is it puerile to share your thoughts on a bible passage?  That is precisely the purpose in my mind.  If you feel this passage is unimportant you should be free to give your reflections on it in a bible study.

I think it might make sense to share that you don't really think that is what it meant (with regards to the veils).  Critiquing Paul doesn't really seem appropriate as the Bible isn't really like non-religious texts where you can feel totally free to critique its writers and style.  Beyond that, even if you felt it necessary to express that the passage wasn't very important, I hardly see how that excuses the following:

QuoteI said that surely it is more important for me to listen to the life and words of Christ such as the commandment to love one another than to worry about the headgear on women or the ban on tattoos in Leviticus for that matter. Nor can I give equal authority to a whole text that has been continually edited and translated by the hand of Man thousands of years after the fact.

By the time that you've gotten to that point, you should have already realized that you shouldn't be at a bible study group.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

And I do think that it is puerile when a group of people decide to talk about x (in this case the interpretation) and then someone comes in and says that's not important.  Witness Jos in Siege's metal thread. :)

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on April 02, 2009, 11:06:49 AM
gotten to that point, you should have already realized that you shouldn't be at a bible study group.

I could not disagree with you more.  The Bible is a very important book and not simply because you blindly accept ridiculous and obviously false claims about it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

crazy canuck

By the time that you've gotten to that point, you should have already realized that you shouldn't be at a bible study group.

Why, it is through Bible study that we now know about the various iterations and edits to the Bible over time. 

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on April 02, 2009, 11:08:18 AM
And I do think that it is puerile when a group of people decide to talk about x (in this case the interpretation) and then someone comes in and says that's not important.  Witness Jos in Siege's metal thread. :)

Please show me where he said Bible study is not important.  He gave his opinion on one particular verse.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on April 02, 2009, 11:11:48 AM
gotten to that point, you should have already realized that you shouldn't be at a bible study group.

I could not disagree with you more.  The Bible is a very important book and not simply because you blindly accept ridiculous and obviously false claims about it.

Quite right.

Sheilbh

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 02, 2009, 11:13:01 AM

Why, it is through Bible study that we now know about the various iterations and edits to the Bible over time.
Not by anybody though.  That's how you end up with Anabaptists taking over Munster! :o
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 02, 2009, 11:14:23 AM
Not by anybody though.  That's how you end up with Anabaptists taking over Munster! :o

More Bible study is needed. :D

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on April 02, 2009, 11:08:18 AM

That's a MArty-level analogy. :(

It's a Bible study class and he suggests a particular passage isn't as important - he's not saying the whole Bible is not important. 
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on April 02, 2009, 11:13:12 AM
Please show me where he said Bible study is not important.  He gave his opinion on one particular verse.

I'm glad that you completely avoided what I said in favor of a strawman. :)

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on April 02, 2009, 11:11:48 AM

Is that what you think a college bible study group is? A place where college students uncover truth?