Divine Inspiration or Divine Dictation?

Started by Phillip V, April 02, 2009, 01:38:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on April 02, 2009, 11:16:48 AM

That's a MArty-level analogy. :(

It's a Bible study class and he suggests a particular passage isn't as important - he's not saying the whole Bible is not important. 

I'm so glad then that I didn't say he said the Bible was unimportant. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Honestly, you people are making me feel like Berkut. L2Rthx.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on April 02, 2009, 11:18:35 AM
Is that what you think a college bible study group is? A place where college students uncover truth?

It seems to me the whole point of the OP was that he thought it was and he was surprised when others viewed the group in the way you apparently do.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on April 02, 2009, 11:19:34 AM

Learn to write. 

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on April 02, 2009, 11:17:58 AM
I'm glad that you completely avoided what I said in favor of a strawman. :)

I didn't avoid anything I simply have no idea what your point is it seems.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on April 02, 2009, 11:19:34 AM

Learn to communicate thanks.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 02, 2009, 11:20:54 AM
It seems to me the whole point of the OP was that he thought it was and he was surprised when others viewed the group in the way you apparently do.

Because he was being an asshole.  People are discussing something (once again, that interpretation of that passage in 1 Corinthians) and then he comes and tells them that what they are talking about is unimportant and likely the result of poor editing.  I don't really see why one would expect a positive reaction from a group of kids discussing the bible.  Then to add insult to injury, he grandstands by saying that he feels that it is important to think about the life of Christ and his message then to worry about the detailed prohibitions throughout the text...ending with the often anti-Christian retort that the book was written by, and has been mangled by man.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Caliga on April 02, 2009, 05:45:50 AM
How come so many Asian-Americans are devout Christians? :huh:

Like 90% of the ones I've known have been hardcore Protestants of some flavor.

Maybe they have more opportunities to move to the US.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on April 02, 2009, 11:25:29 AM
Because he was being an asshole.  People are discussing something (once again, that interpretation of that passage in 1 Corinthians) and then he comes and tells them that what they are talking about is unimportant and likely the result of poor editing.  I don't really see why one would expect a positive reaction from a group of kids discussing the bible.  Then to add insult to injury, he grandstands by saying that he feels that it is important to think about the life of Christ and his message then to worry about the detailed prohibitions throughout the text...ending with the often anti-Christian retort that the book was written by, and has been mangled by man.

He is being an asshole for offering an interpretive view?  So you suggest that when going to a bible study group one should only adhere to a strictly literalist interpretation because that is the only way to interpret the Bible?  You are several decades behind the theological work in this area.

The Brain

There is no doubt in my mind that Pee-Vee knows better than God.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 02, 2009, 11:32:33 AMHe is being an asshole for offering an interpretive view?  So you suggest that when going to a bible study group one should only adhere to a strictly literalist interpretation because that is the only way to interpret the Bible?  You are several decades behind the theological work in this area.

Are you familiar with evangelical Christian Bible-study?  Yes, that's exactly what you should do.  My mother-in-law does Bible study with her Southern Baptist church and babbles on about it non-stop.  The point is not to critically analyze the Bible but rather dissect some obscure passage and get to its "true" meaning and how that applies to everyone's life.

Everyone in the room is already a devout believer and the point of the class is neither to convince or cast doubt in anyone's mind about the validity of what's written in the Bible.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

crazy canuck

Quote from: Caliga on April 02, 2009, 11:42:13 AM
Everyone in the room is already a devout believer and the point of the class is neither to convince or cast doubt in anyone's mind about the validity of what's written in the Bible.

The purpose of interpreting the bible in the manner I have suggested is not to convince people the Bible is invalid.  Indeed, it is more likely to convince people that it is more valid since it gives a more rational explanation for why things were written in the way they were.

Far from being an "asshole" for suggesting it, he was furthering the discussion.

Caliga

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 02, 2009, 11:46:33 AMThe purpose of interpreting the bible in the manner I have suggested is not to convince people the Bible is invalid.  Indeed, it is more likely to convince people that it is more valid since it gives a more rational explanation for why things were written in the way they were.

Far from being an "asshole" for suggesting it, he was furthering the discussion.

Yes, correct, that is in fact the point of these classes... but I don't think questions like he raised come up very often.  Then again, based on who my mother-in-law mentions having attended these classes, most people there are unintelligent and uneducated. :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Magnus

Quote from: The Brain on April 02, 2009, 11:29:18 AM
Is this another Pdox double thread?
It's actually not a pdox double, since pdox banned religion, it though featured on the P-dox backup.

Anyway, bible studies. They shouldn't be done.
But if they are done, no matter your sect, they should focus on what you can learn from a passage. Your role is not to teach others at this point, my prior comments about priests and flocks, but to help yourself. You can share your learnings with others, but do not tell others what they should do, you, the flawed being you are, are in no position.
I once more say, bible study, without a man of the cloth should not be done. It too often leads away from, instead of towards faith.