Mother calls cops to make them make her son stop playing GTA

Started by Syt, December 22, 2009, 01:24:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: merithyn on December 22, 2009, 08:58:22 PM
:yeahright:

I guarantee that even my 16-year-old weight-lifting boys aren't stronger than me when it comes to discipline. If the right tone is inflected and the right look is given, they still cringe rather than risk eternal damnation from me. If Mom is calling the cops on this, she fucked up a long time ago.

Maybe we need to ask Rasputin his take on this.  :lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Woman should have been horsewhipped in the town square.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Jaron

If Meris sons were all metrosexual faggots, they could probably overpower her.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: DGuller on December 22, 2009, 03:29:53 PM
That's one hell of a wanted level.

:lol:  I have to say, DGuller is one of the underrated one-liner deliverers around here.   :hug:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 22, 2009, 03:33:16 PM
Many 14 year old boys are stronger than their mothers.

Wait until he is at school or something and then take his video games if that is a problem.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Monoriu

Quote from: Valmy on December 22, 2009, 09:42:59 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 22, 2009, 03:33:16 PM
Many 14 year old boys are stronger than their mothers.

Wait until he is at school or something and then take his video games if that is a problem.

And then the boy will have valid cause to call the police :contract:

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on December 22, 2009, 09:45:15 PM
And then the boy will have valid cause to call the police :contract:

Did he buy the video games?  No they are her property.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Monoriu

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 22, 2009, 09:48:07 PM
Not really, minors don't really own anything.

Well, first the boy could lock the games in a cabinet or something.  That's what I did.  Second, if his games were taken away, he will certainly find out, and there will be total war when he does. 

Anyway, I think the mother is much more annoyed by the fact that she is disobeyed or ignored, rather than by any real harmful effects of GTA.  That's why stealing his games won't achieve the mother's purpose.  It won't buy her respect or acknowledgement that she is higher up in the hirarchy.  Rather, it is an admission that she has no power over her son, and she has to resort to stealing while he is away. 

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on December 22, 2009, 09:55:30 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 22, 2009, 09:48:07 PM
Not really, minors don't really own anything.

Well, first the boy could lock the games in a cabinet or something.  That's what I did.  Second, if his games were taken away, he will certainly find out, and there will be total war when he does. 

Anyway, I think the mother is much more annoyed by the fact that she is disobeyed or ignored, rather than by any real harmful effects of GTA.  That's why stealing his games won't achieve the mother's purpose.  It won't buy her respect or acknowledgement that she is higher up in the hirarchy.  Rather, it is an admission that she has no power over her son, and she has to resort to stealing while he is away. 

She is not stealing his games you dipshit she is taking them until he earns the privledge of playing them back.

If he puts the games in a cabinet take or break open the cabinet.  Playing games is not a right.  If the kid is truly addicted she is doing him a favor.

Monoriu

Quote from: Valmy on December 22, 2009, 10:13:16 PM

She is not stealing his games you dipshit she is taking them until he earns the privledge of playing them back.

If he puts the games in a cabinet take or break open the cabinet.  Playing games is not a right.  If the kid is truly addicted she is doing him a favor.

Regardless of whether the games are legally "his" or not, taking his games will be "stealing" in his eyes.  He is 14 years old, and will approach adulthood pretty soon.  He isn't a 4 year old where the parents control everything.  If your adult friend engages in addictive or self-destructive behaviour, you do not go to his home and take away his stuff.  I think it is better off for the parents in such cases to start treating their teenage offspring a bit more like adults, rather than toddlers. 

Monoriu

I read the article again and two things struck me.  The incident happened at 2:30 am on a Saturday.  That means there is likely no school.  I sometimes play games until 2 or 3 if I know I don't need to work the next day.

Secondly, the mother said she will never buy that kind of game for his son.  That means the boy probably bought the game himself, or received it as a present from someone else.  I think that should be his "property".

Jaron

You are like 33, the boy is 14. Big difference in bedtimes, I think.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Monoriu

Quote from: Jaron on December 22, 2009, 10:44:07 PM
You are like 33, the boy is 14. Big difference in bedtimes, I think.

I just think that, for a 14 year old boy, playing one of the most popular games on a Friday night at home is really no big deal.  My impression is that the mother is more interested in letting him know who is in charge, rather than trying to salvage his son's academic career.