Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 28, 2014, 05:34:57 PM

Look at a chart of the S&P for 2013. You didn't have to be a genius to make money.  :lol:

Though you do need some brains and a sense of timing to keep it. :P

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tonitrus

My couple of legal-cannabis-speculation stocks have been going bonkers recently.

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 26, 2014, 02:49:07 PM
Apart from Dorsey4arbitrage short selling Treasuries (which I expect he's regretting immensely now) I'm pretty sure you're the only Languishite who engages in other than plain vanilla trades.

Wait, what?????

That was a brilliant trade. I didn't get all the runup because I closed the position, but 10 year treasury rates have rocketed.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

stjaba

Good time to buy more SPY? Markets seem to be down because the Ukraine crisis, can't imagine that will be a long term problem.

Phillip V

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 03, 2014, 09:33:37 AM
Ed's shareholder value this morning:  :(
Most of my portfolio is tied to US government bonds and oil, so :)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: stjaba on March 03, 2014, 12:01:39 PM
Good time to buy more SPY? Markets seem to be down because the Ukraine crisis, can't imagine that will be a long term problem.

I just put my IRA allotment into T, to ride out the tapering.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on March 03, 2014, 10:10:00 AM
Wait, what?????

That was a brilliant trade. I didn't get all the runup because I closed the position, but 10 year treasury rates have rocketed.

Kay.

How much did you make on that deal?

I figured there was no way you beat the S&P's 30% gain with that deal.

Admiral Yi

I cashed out a couple of my mom's stocks in '13, with significant capital gains.

Both the stocks were dripped.  Is there any easy way to report the capital gains  on 30+ reinvested dividends?  Anything short of inputting those 30 reinvested dividends one by one?

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 03, 2014, 05:00:15 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on March 03, 2014, 10:10:00 AM
Wait, what?????

Kay.

How much did you make on that deal?

I figured there was no way you beat the S&P's 30% gain with that deal.

I really don't know. I cashed out a while back.

But, as a point of comparison, the S&P has gained 30% since December 31, 2012 (roughly). 10 year treasury yields were about 1.76% then. 10 year treasury yields are 2.61% today.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Admiral Yi

The formula for calculating a bond's value given the interest rate eludes me, but I'm pretty sure the trading price of those bonds didn't drop by 48%.

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 04, 2014, 02:44:12 AM
The formula for calculating a bond's value given the interest rate eludes me, but I'm pretty sure the trading price of those bonds didn't drop by 48%.

They didn't. I think I traded some bond fund that had a blend of longer term bonds.

If the runup period had a 30% gain in the S&P 500, I probably didn't beat the S&P 500. But then that is an odd way to judge the profitability of an investment--an investor needs some diversity, and most of my money is in S&P 500 funds.

Maybe when I do my taxes I'll get the real data.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 03, 2014, 08:38:48 PM
I cashed out a couple of my mom's stocks in '13, with significant capital gains.

Both the stocks were dripped.  Is there any easy way to report the capital gains  on 30+ reinvested dividends?  Anything short of inputting those 30 reinvested dividends one by one?

I'm not sure what you mean by "inputting those 30 reinvested dividends one by one".  The capital gain is just the sale price minus all of the money put into the position, including the dividends.  Is the problem that you don't have the actual amount paid out and you are trying to reconstruct it from historical data?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on March 04, 2014, 10:36:06 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by "inputting those 30 reinvested dividends one by one".  The capital gain is just the sale price minus all of the money put into the position, including the dividends.  Is the problem that you don't have the actual amount paid out and you are trying to reconstruct it from historical data?

I think the software wants you to put in acquisition dates and purchase prices for each purchase, so that it can calculate which purchases qualify as long term holdings and which don't.

I say think because my dad and I have a weird relationship and he's the one filing my mom's return.

What would probably be simplest is if there's anyone here who had capital gains on a stock they dripped, and they told me how they input the purchases/reinvestments.

MadImmortalMan

Buys:

LNG
HON
WYNN

Short:

PM

I think traditional cigarettes are going to get hammered in the crossfire between newly-legal pot and e-cigs. When you can load an e-cig with THC oil, I mean come on. Every smoker I know is trying them or wants to.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers