Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phillip V

Quote from: alfred russel on February 14, 2012, 03:22:06 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 14, 2012, 03:08:53 PM
11.8 is very cheap for a tech company. Although it could be argued that Apple is now a retail company.

Are they even retail? I assume a huge chunk of their earnings are the iPhone, which is  likely to face stiff future competition. They are a company with a great product that is going to be obsolete soon, and will be reliant on a great R&D department to sustain their current earnings.

iPhone will be king (even increased share) for at least another year. iPhone 5 will be a huge product refresh with bigger screen and 4G LTE connectivity (even though a record amount of fools bought iPhone 4s).

Phillip V

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Phillip V on February 14, 2012, 04:00:58 PM
I am getting tired of these late-day rallies. :mad:

It's crazy. Wiped out the whole trading day in a heartbeat. I sold puts I was holding from the morning on the mini-ramp about noon. Thank god. Too bad I didn't try to play the main ramp though. Sometimes you can make great cash getting weekly calls around 12:30, catching the ramp and dumping them before the close at 1. Pacific time, obviously. That's 3:30-4 eastern. It's been less predictable since about December, but came in hard today.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

PJL

I've got some shares in Aviva which aren't doing too badly at the moment, plus the dividend yield is great too (about 7%). Having said that I've put some money in the Footsie Super Short ETF thinking that the market was a bit top heavy and about to turn, which it hasn't yet.

MadImmortalMan

A share of AAPL stock now costs as much as the original iPod. If you spent that money on Apple stock instead, it would be worth $27,556 today.

Phillip V

Zynga Posts Loss in First Earnings Report: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204795304577223523778815992.html

Hopefully, it gets oversold so I can buy back in a cheap position.

Phillip V

My Apple stock is up almost 40% in less than 3 months. :wacko:

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Phillip V on February 14, 2012, 11:33:13 PM
Zynga Posts Loss in First Earnings Report: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204795304577223523778815992.html

Hopefully, it gets oversold so I can buy back in a cheap position.

This is a tough time to be shorting anything. Especially stuff related to the upcoming Facebook IPO. I think the bad Zynga quarter will be good for keeping Facebook from overheating out of the gate. They are something like 15% of Facebook's earnings. So yeah. Good dip.

Tamas

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Tamas on February 15, 2012, 01:12:04 PM
when is that IPO anyway?

Not scheduled yet. They are on the "roadshow". If I had to guess it will happen before the end of May.

MadImmortalMan

AAPL started the day about 510, went to 525, and then tanked to just under 500. That's a total move in market cap over the course of today of almost 40billion. Or a little over two times the entire worth of Yahoo. This thing is the tail that wags the Nasdaq.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Alcibiades

Still kicking myself daily for selling 100 shares at 110$ back in 08.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Admiral Yi

For those of you who have access to The Economist, there's an interesting graph in there that shows various companies' share of US internet ad revenue.  I was *very* surprised to learn that Yahoo!, while steadily declining, has only now fallen to the same level as Google.  Both are at around 12% now.

Tamas

I read Cramer lashed out on people who got scared of yesterday's Apple move. Does this mean the stock will never see $500 again? :P