Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Next victim:

CMG...no

PCLN...no

It's LNKD! LinkedIn with a P/E ratio as of today's close of 1317.88x.

They report on 11/3 after the close, so you still have seven trading days to short the fuck out of them.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Admiral Yi

I guess you blood-sucking short sellers are not as psyched as I am. :lol:

Richard Hakluyt

My profits are above where they were at the market peak in April/May, since the market is still down about 5-6% I am well pleased. I don't short btw, but have been selling and buying more than I would like due to the market conditions.

MadImmortalMan

It's certainly been a good opportunity for people to average down their cost to purchase. Anyone who is doing cost averaging via regular 401k contributions, for example.

Tamas

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 27, 2011, 05:17:45 PM

I switched to being on the long side in time to save myself :P

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Tamas on October 28, 2011, 01:36:28 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 27, 2011, 05:17:45 PM

I switched to being on the long side in time to save myself :P

Me too. Shorting has been only good for daytrades the past couple weeks. And hedging.

MadImmortalMan

Oh dear. Looks like Corzine tried to save the company by "borrowing" 700 million from customer accounts to shore up trading losses. This isn't going to be good.  Sorry, MF Global. Chris Christie is too busy to clean it up this time. It's bankruptcy for you.

Richard Hakluyt

The Greeks are going to have a referendum on whether they should accept the various debt deals :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15533940

Interesting times, I have taken my profits and now hold only the dreariest of British utilities; I find this extreme volatility takes the fun out of it, I have kept my profits during it but suspect that was by good luck rather than good management.

At a guess the Greeks will reject the deal, which will lead to a default and a return to the drachma. Assuming that all that doesn't happen before the referendum can be held.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

So, did Jon Corzine's firm embezzle customers' funds to trade with?  :hmm:

DGuller

Oh, wow, just found an article that they didn't separate customer funds from investment funds.  That sounds like a cardinal sin by a broker, and I would be very surprised if it's not the kind of thing you go to jail for, despite white collar crime on Wall Street being largely legal.

alfred russel

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 31, 2011, 07:28:42 PM
Oh dear. Looks like Corzine tried to save the company by "borrowing" 700 million from customer accounts to shore up trading losses. This isn't going to be good.  Sorry, MF Global. Chris Christie is too busy to clean it up this time blame teachers unions in a series of rants on youtube . It's just bankruptcy for you. Actually, it might be better this way.

An alternative take on events.  :P
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014