Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

I need to seriously stop turning on CNBC after I wake up.

My progression this morning:

:sleep:
:glare:
:yucky:
:wacko:
:hmm: (Notices NetLogic up a lot)
:menace: (Remembers I own NetLogic long-term)
:cool:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

MadImmortalMan

Mono, I sincerely hope you got out of RIMM when I called it a corpse. They just got killed in the after-market off their horrendous earnings release.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadImmortalMan

http://www.google.com/finance/option_chain?q=NYSE:SPY#

Look at the massive volume of SPY calls around the 117-119 range. Tomorrow is expiration on these options, and they're gonna get called. I think that probably means the market will be hell-bent on closing below 119 on SPY and whatever that equates to on the Dow. Roughly down about the amount we were up today. It would have to be some pretty huge forces pushing higher to prevent it. Not a prediction, just a speculative guess.

Tamas

My SP500 shortings has been assraped lately, in my vague attempts to find a top before the upcoming Greek default announcement.

The coordinated USD-lending by various central banks announced yesterday, I think, indicates that Greek default is coming.

Habsburg

Greek default should not pull us down.  Portugal or Ireland probably not either (all three might not be great.)

Should contagion spread to Italy or Spain, problems.

However the players seem to be coming together on the issue?

DGuller

OK, people, fess up, who taught Habsburg how to show images in posts?  Don't be afraid, I promise that your execution won't be summary.  :)

Ed Anger

Quote from: DGuller on September 16, 2011, 08:44:59 AM
OK, people, fess up, who taught Habsburg how to show images in posts?  Don't be afraid, I promise that your execution won't be summary.  :)

Be thankful I haven't joined in with more animated gifs. Pony .gifs.

MadImmortalMan

I'm signing up for the CNBC million dollar portfolio challenge. Starts Monday. Should be fun to shed most safety plays and just go balls to the wall. I imagine playing super risky would be the way to win a thing like this.

DGuller

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 16, 2011, 03:24:47 PM
I'm signing up for the CNBC million dollar portfolio challenge. Starts Monday. Should be fun to shed most safety plays and just go balls to the wall. I imagine playing super risky would be the way to win a thing like this.
I never understood the point of that challenge.  The winning strategy seems to be the exact opposite of everything you want to do when investing.  To maximize your chances of winning the challenge, you should find one extremely volatile stock, and pour all your money into it.

Ed Anger

DGuller

I just find CNBC to be a representation of many things that are wrong in America, and this stupid game in particular is a good representation of what CNBC is about.  If killing buzz makes me a buzzkill, then buzzkill I am.

Habsburg

CNBC has not been the same since Erin went over to CNN and Mark passed.  :(

I'm starting to watch Bloomberg.

Ed Anger

I watch CNBC to see if Cramer is going to have a stroke on the 9am show.

MadImmortalMan

Yeah, that's what I mean. You basically want to leverage yourself all in to 3x ETFs and other stuff that would be essentially seppuku in the real world to win the game. You get five different portfolios to do it in too. So, I'm thinking going 3x long the market in one, 3x short the market in another, etc. Maybe I'll have a portfolio where I trade whatever Languish decides. :p

Habsburg

Erin Burnett's new show starts on CNN soon (bye Jon King!) :mmm: