Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Yep. The buyer bought the rights to the profits beyond the strike price, essentially. I am holding the stock, which can go down in value. I'm fairly sure that doing this is only worthwhile for stocks that you believe will not move much in price. I wouldn't do it with Apple or anything like that. Too volatile.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: DGuller on April 25, 2011, 01:53:57 PM
I'm an expert on this. :smarty:  I'm about to take my fourth investment exam.  Well, technically I'm taking the same exam for the fourth time, but still.

4th time is the charm!  :cool:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 25, 2011, 01:58:25 PM
Yep. The buyer bought the rights to the profits beyond the strike price, essentially. I am holding the stock, which can go down in value. I'm fairly sure that doing this is only worthwhile for stocks that you believe will not move much in price. I wouldn't do it with Apple or anything like that. Too volatile.

Except that presumably call options for Apple would cost more to reflect the volatility, jah?

DGuller

But volatility is priced in, the option costs more with higher volatility.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 25, 2011, 02:00:29 PM

Except that presumably call options for Apple would cost more to reflect the volatility, jah?

Yes.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

citizen k

Jim Cramer just said the UK is the most investable country on Earth thanks to the budget cuts.

MadImmortalMan

Tonitrus

So is that suggesting that silver is going to drop like a bitch in a couple years?  :P

MadImmortalMan

It bears noting that the 1980 event was a market manipulation of some sort. I can't remember exactly. Somebody cornered it or something.

Edit: found it - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Thursday

Barrister

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 25, 2011, 07:25:12 PM
It bears noting that the 1980 event was a market manipulation of some sort. I can't remember exactly. Somebody cornered it or something.

Aye.  A quick summary I found with 15 secs of googling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Thursday

All I could take from the graph is that the price of silver and the USD are entirely unrelated. :mellow:

Edit: Damn you MIM!
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Barrister on April 25, 2011, 07:28:31 PM
All I could take from the graph is that the price of silver and the USD are entirely unrelated. :mellow:

At least since 2007 it isn't the case. They traded pretty much as mirror images once the economy got choppy until QE2 in November--when silver broke away. To me, that suggests a trend break. People trading it on Quantitative Easing (as in fact I did myself you'll recall). I think that same thinking is going to make it drop once QE is over.

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on April 25, 2011, 07:28:31 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Thursday
The wonder of free and efficient markets. 

Trading silver now seems to me like timing an exit in a bubble.  You're not dealing with fundamentals anymore, you're dealing with what you think other people think about what other people think.

Tonitrus

Meh, either way, I took MiM's advice and sold off PSLV this morning at 22.90.  95%-ish percent profit is nothing to cry over.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points