Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 08, 2021, 01:05:24 PM
Yep, that was it.  I was attracted to Shaw because their dividend yield was pretty good.  As I recall, the tax was deducted automatically by my broker...it was a relatively trivial amount, and I never followed up on the legalities of it.

I was wondering why Shaw specifically - I mean it's a fine company, but not one I'd go out of my way to invest in a foreign jurisdiction.  But that makes sense.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on February 08, 2021, 01:11:45 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on February 08, 2021, 01:05:24 PM
Yep, that was it.  I was attracted to Shaw because their dividend yield was pretty good.  As I recall, the tax was deducted automatically by my broker...it was a relatively trivial amount, and I never followed up on the legalities of it.

I was wondering why Shaw specifically - I mean it's a fine company, but not one I'd go out of my way to invest in a foreign jurisdiction.  But that makes sense.

It is a bit of a darling stock for people who pursue a dividend income strategy.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 07, 2021, 09:56:32 PM
Not Spotify?  I know that is listed on the NYSE.
no, another company that does not seem listed in NA, only on Europe's stock exchanges. 
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 08, 2021, 11:14:42 AM
Tesla announces purchase of $1.5 billion in bitcoin.  Questions whether he was manipulating the price in his tweets.  Tesla shares up.

What's the play here for Tesla? Hope that they can help drive bitcoin to be firmly entrenched in the mainstream?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on February 09, 2021, 04:15:59 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 08, 2021, 11:14:42 AM
Tesla announces purchase of $1.5 billion in bitcoin.  Questions whether he was manipulating the price in his tweets.  Tesla shares up.

What's the play here for Tesla? Hope that they can help drive bitcoin to be firmly entrenched in the mainstream?

Or be the #1 choice for drug dealers?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on February 09, 2021, 04:15:59 AM

Speculation?  PR?  It looks pretty fruity to me.

Admiral Yi

Did some big news just hit that we all missed?  Share prices just suddenly dropped.

Took advantage of the drop in Tesla to sell a 2/12 put @740 for $494.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 10, 2021, 10:17:17 AM
Pot stocks exploding.

There are rumors that Congress is going to decriminalize pot nationwide.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on February 10, 2021, 11:11:29 AM

I don't think the federal government has that authority.

Might you be confusing discussion of legalization of banking by pot producers?

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 10, 2021, 11:14:01 AM

Ok Mr. Pedant. I meant the rumor is that they are not making it a Federal Crime anymore. States are, of course, welcome to continue to make it a crime.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 10, 2021, 11:14:01 AM
Quote from: Valmy on February 10, 2021, 11:11:29 AM

Might you be confusing discussion of legalization of banking by pot producers?

My understanding is there has been no end of confusion because pot has been legalized in some US states, but remains illegal federally.  Obama decided not to prosecute federal drug laws in jurisdictions which legalized it but the law remains on the books which is what has caused the banking problems you mentioned.

But yes if pot is legalized federally it would remain illegal in states that have laws against possessing it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

And Sessions absolutely loved using the DoJ against pot. While, as you say, Obama didn't and Barr didn't.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

To clarify, you guys are saying possession, use, or distribution without an interstate commerce nexus are federal crimes?

I blew it on the Tesla put.  Should have sold a much, much longer option to lock in that premium.  Wasn't thinking clearly.  :(