Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

What annoys me most is the institutional shrilling.

They don't have a problem with stock manipulation, they have problems with it happening outside of their comfort zone and by the market segment that was intended to simply provide them a stream of income and not a hit of losses.

Syt

Were there any consequences for senators who received a classified Covid briefing early on and used that privileged knowledge to optimize their stocks portfolios?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on January 28, 2021, 04:26:45 AM
Were there any consequences for senators who received a classified Covid briefing early on and used that privileged knowledge to optimize their stocks portfolios?

There certainly has not been a widespread discussion of it in the financial media.

Admiral Yi

Wiki says the FBI closed their investigations.

Tamas

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 28, 2021, 05:10:44 AM

:lol: At least some things are the same in both the US and Hungary.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on January 28, 2021, 05:14:12 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 28, 2021, 05:10:44 AM

:lol: At least some things are the same in both the US and Hungary.

Do people in Hungary not eat food nor need oxygen? :o
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Granted I haven't been to America since last Feb so I can't say what they currently do.

alfred russel

Quote from: Tamas on January 27, 2021, 08:02:46 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 27, 2021, 07:59:57 PM
Quote from: Tamas on January 27, 2021, 06:56:27 PM
Big investors get bailouts for recklessness

Please elaborate.

Aint gonna give you a brief on the 2008 crisis mate you will need to do your own reading up on that.

It is almost as though you are starting at a conclusion point.

If in 2008 we bailed out big investors with long positions, we fucked over big investors with short positions.

Theoretically the Gamestop runup is fueled by small investors trying to fuck over big investors with short positions.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Tamas

Might be just people losing their shit but apparently Robinhood has stopped accepting buy orders for the meme stocks of the last few days.

Zoupa

Tamas

Not just Robinhood:

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/unprecedented-move-td-ameritrade-puts-restrictions-transactions-gme-amc?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+zerohedge%2Ffeed+%28zero+hedge+-+on+a+long+enough+timeline%2C+the+survival+rate+for+everyone+drops+to+zero%29

QuoteThe brokerage said that it imposed these unprecedented unilateral - as in not mandated by either a regulator or the government - actions "out of an abundance of caution amid unprecedented market conditions and other factors."

Expect many more exchanges to follow suit, because hedge funds clearly need to be protected when faced with the retail daytrading mob.

Meanwhile, with nobody there to bail them out, the basket of top hedge fund favorites, the Goldman hedge fund VIP stock basket, is plumbing new lows as fears of wholesale liquidations grow as the Goldman basket of most shorted names keeps rising ever higher,

Zoupa

Habbaku

Quote from: DGuller on January 27, 2021, 11:10:00 PM
Is there any fundamental reason why anyone would short sell a stock?  There must be some, because some very smart people are doing it, but it sounds like such a dangerous hassle.  Can't you just buy a put or sell a call if you are bearish on the stock?

Yes, but merely buying the put or selling the call puts a cap on your upside as well as the downside. It's a matter of degrees.

Just as with put options, short selling can be an excellent hedge in a portfolio that is otherwise long on a bunch of stocks and is worried over rising volatility.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien