Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Tonitrus on January 21, 2021, 04:20:10 PM
Part of the feeling, I think, is that I am pretty much at what I've seen as being my financial goal/target (well ahead of schedule)...and cashing out would mean that I may be able to just coast, without worrying as much about the ups and downs of the market.

Sounds like maybe you should rebalance and go more conservative, but I wouldn't recommend a wholesale exit from the stock market.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Part of the feeling, I think, is that I am pretty much at what I've seen as being my financial goal/target (well ahead of schedule)...and cashing out would mean that I may be able to just coast, without worrying as much about the ups and downs of the market.

For God sake man, do not go to languish for financial advice, get a good certified financial planner to figure out how to meet your investment goals.

Tonitrus

I wasn't seeking advice...venting/thinking out loud more than anything.  :sleep:

Admiral Yi

For starters, you can't cash out your Roth or regular IRA (if you have one) without significant tax penalties.

Look at your options.  You don't want your wealth sitting in cash, or in savings or CDs earning 50 or 75 basis points.

I'm in a similar situation to you.  Last years gains have put me ahead of target.  What I did was sold off some losers and put a chunk of money into a dividend ETF.  The one I bought is WDIV, yielding 5.5%.

My advice to you is to rotate some money into dividend stocks, keep on making max annual contributions to the Roth (possibly using funds from your regular brokerage account), and have some cash on hand for if and when the forecast market correction comes.

You can keep on holding high flyers in your Roth as long as you're diversified.

Buying an annuity is an option, but stay away from fixed index annuities.  They are a scam.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tonitrus on January 21, 2021, 04:51:39 PM
I wasn't seeking advice...venting/thinking out loud more than anything.  :sleep:

I figured.  It is just that when I read Yi's posts giving advice about how to do this and that, it is worth stating the obvious from time to time.  :)

Habbaku

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 21, 2021, 04:39:32 PM

For God sake man, do not go to languish for financial advice, get a good certified financial planner to figure out how to meet your investment goals.

:contract:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

crazy canuck

Quote from: Habbaku on January 21, 2021, 06:00:06 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 21, 2021, 04:39:32 PM

:contract:

Telling him to get investment advice is slightly different then Yi telling him how to invest.   ;)

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Article in The Economist about explosion in option trading.  Talks about the retail investors chasing long odds thing I mentioned.

Habbaku

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 21, 2021, 07:54:29 PM
Article in The Economist about explosion in option trading.  Talks about the retail investors chasing long odds thing I mentioned.

It's the Reddit WallStreetBets/Boredom Markets effect. Lots of people glommed onto WSB over the last two years (me included) and the gush of loss/gain excitement due to the magnifying effect of options seems to have led far, far too many people stuck in lockdown to thinking they can make it rich with just one lucky call option.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Habbaku on January 21, 2021, 08:56:42 PM
It's the Reddit WallStreetBets/Boredom Markets effect. Lots of people glommed onto WSB over the last two years (me included) and the gush of loss/gain excitement due to the magnifying effect of options seems to have led far, far too many people stuck in lockdown to thinking they can make it rich with just one lucky call option.

Yup.  But I think you were wrong when you said options in general are bad news and best to stay away.  I'm inclined to agree when it's limited to the buy side, but as I mentioned earlier these yahoos are bidding up premiums and that can be taken advantage of on the sell side.

I've never visited but I'll bet not many folks on Reddit are cackling about selling covered calls.

Habbaku

My note about options should be clarified to be referring to buying any of them, for the most part. I think there are probably better uses of your money than writing covered calls, but you're not wrong about the premiums getting bid up because of the retard sector and if you're making money there, you're not doing anything wrong.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

FYI I'm making about $500/week writing covered calls against 75 grand in capital.