Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Oh, so you sold it all after the run-up? Good move!  :P
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

I am currently happy with my crypto investments.  :sleep:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

crazy canuck

Quote from: Caliga on December 31, 2020, 07:52:51 PM
Nice work, Yi. :cool:

CC, I looked at your Mind Medicine company's financials.... they don't look like a 'real' company to me... like it doesn't look like they have any employees based on their income statement?  Do you know these folks personally or something?

They reported a payroll of over 1 million in the third quarter.  Government regulation has just recently began allowing more research so I anticipate that will grow.  I don't know these folks.  But I do know folks in another company in this area of research in which I have also invested.

Admiral Yi

Tamas

Admiral Yi

Hey Tonto, I've preached to you several times about holding on to your Tesla, so in the interest of full disclosure I should tell you that I sold a covered call @750 which would get assigned if price doesn't drop by 1/8.  I do however, intend to sell the put if and when my shares get assigned.  I'm also still holding shares that aren't covering that call option.

Tonitrus

I'll admit to being a dummy, and not even really knowing (and obviously not caring enough to research) all the complex trading stuff like covered calls, etc.  So I honestly have no idea what that means or how it works.   :sleep:

I'm just kinda casually watching it, and guesstimating a sell/limit price essentially on whether or not I could still buy a Model X with my gains.    :P

Habbaku

Quote from: Tonitrus on January 06, 2021, 10:45:18 AM
I'll admit to being a dummy, and not even really knowing (and obviously not caring enough to research) all the complex trading stuff like covered calls, etc.  So I honestly have no idea what that means or how it works.   :sleep:

As someone who knows the stuff very well, it's not worth your time and energy to learn and you should stay away from it.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tonitrus

The most annoying thing to me right now is that USAA had shuffed their brokerage services off to Charles Schwab...and CS doesn't have as an easy functionality to put a trailing stop-loss trade on a stock...probably the most "complex" and useful function I would take advantage of.

Admiral Yi

It's all just jargon.  A call is the option to buy shares at a predetermined price, $750 in this case.  Covered means the seller (me) has the shares to sell at that price and is contrasted with a naked call, which means you don't have the shares and if the price rises enough you (the seller) either have to run out and buy enough shares to sell to the option holder (at a loss) or buy the call to close out your option (at a loss).

tldnr: good chance I will be selling c. 2/3 of my Tesla shares this week.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Habbaku on January 06, 2021, 10:53:37 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on January 06, 2021, 10:45:18 AM

As someone who knows the stuff very well, it's not worth your time and energy to learn and you should stay away from it.

:yes:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Habbaku on January 03, 2021, 05:50:44 PM
I am currently happy with my crypto investments.  :sleep:

My son tells me that despite the runup in prices, the difficulty of mining has not increased.  The last time prices spiked lots of people tried mining (and graphics card prices went through the roof as a result).   In hindsight if he had invested the money he spent setting up his rig back in the day into crypto he would be better off today.  But his mining rig functions as a no fee cypto investment account with constant no cost* contributions.

* well except for the electricity his parents gift to him. :D

Habbaku

Sounds like he's getting the better end of the deal even if he could have made more money by plowing the rig costs into the actual crypto.  :lol:

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Caliga

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 04, 2021, 03:47:23 PM
They reported a payroll of over 1 million in the third quarter.  Government regulation has just recently began allowing more research so I anticipate that will grow.  I don't know these folks.  But I do know folks in another company in this area of research in which I have also invested.
Hm, I must have misread their financials then.  I'll take another look.  Thanks.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points