Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

I have recently opened a small CFD account to temper my raging gambling instincts. Basically so far I have used it to hedge my hemorrhaging regular stocks with daily long Tesla CFDs :P

F this market. Also F me for not jumping into tech stocks in time. Can't wait for a vaccine so my portfolio stops looking this depressing.   

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on August 18, 2020, 01:35:01 PM
S&P 500 is at its all time high.

I know. It makes no sense.

I mean I am grateful for all the retirement money, don't get me wrong.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

As if we are also in state capitalism now, just much lighter than China. Everything depends on the Fed. As long as they are printing we go up even during a pandemic. IDK what will happen when they stop. I don't think they'll stop until something really massive forces them to.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tamas on August 18, 2020, 09:54:29 AM
Also F me for not jumping into tech stocks in time.

So get into the next one.  I heard AirBnB is going to IPO this year after all.  I think Google is still buyable.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/08/11/airbnb-is-getting-ready-for-an-ipo-what-investors/

QuoteThe travel industry has been hit harder than most by the coronavirus, and Airbnb is no exception. In a message to employees in May, CEO Brian Chesky laid off 25% of Airbnb's workforce, saying 2020 revenue would be down over 50% year over year.

But perhaps things are already picking back up. One of Airbnb's biggest competitors is Vrbo, owned by Expedia Group. The company doesn't break out Vrbo's individual results, but noted it returned to bookings growth in June. Therefore, now may be an opportune time for Airbnb to access the public capital it most likely desperately needs. Investors may be enticed to buy the IPO based on improving trends.

Tamas

Yeah I would buy in. Airbnb is awesome and the pandemic won't last forever.

Richard Hakluyt

Most of the risk in Airbnb's model will be pushed onto the property owners; they will have had a bad six months.

Admiral Yi

Tamas

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 19, 2020, 07:17:09 AM
Uber is another one that's buyable.

Have they ever been even remotely close to profitable?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tamas on August 19, 2020, 07:31:37 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 19, 2020, 07:17:09 AM
Uber is another one that's buyable.

Have they ever been even remotely close to profitable?

Remotely, I think yeah.

Way I see it Lyft is dying, Uber is gobbling up food delivery, and their rideshare has to come back at *some* point

Admiral Yi

QuoteOverview of Uber:
Full-year 2019 revenue grew 26% to $14.1 billion and net loss was -$8.5 billion compared to a net profit of $997 million for 2018. Stock-based compensation was $4.6 billion in 2019 for a net loss of $4.1 billion and adjusted EBITDA of negative -$2.73 billion.

Admiral Yi

You also might want to keep in mind that if you wait until after they're a healthy, mature, profitable company to buy, you don't get the crazy appreciation that you're hoping for.  :)

Learn to appreciate risk!  Think like a venture capitalist.  One monster makes up for a lot of dogs.