Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tamas on January 22, 2018, 06:33:54 AM
To be fair even a shop clerk in the western world could probably buy himself an African village with his savings, if he really wanted to.

Alcibiades' point was that Boner is only up 100/ounce.

DGuller

Are African villages actually owned by anyone?  How can you buy something that is not owned?

Jacob

Quote from: DGuller on January 22, 2018, 01:15:07 PM
Are African villages actually owned by anyone?  How can you buy something that is not owned?

I imagine it depends on the village. I doubt there is one pan-African village ownership system.

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

mongers

Quote from: Jacob on January 22, 2018, 02:30:16 PM
Quote from: DGuller on January 22, 2018, 01:15:07 PM

I imagine it depends on the village. I doubt there is one pan-African village ownership system.

Indeed, and given the cultural diversity and range of colonial influences, I suspect you'd find a huge range of ownership/legal situations as regard land ownership.

A hint for Tamas, many retail clerks in the Western world now only make minimum wage, and I think plenty of them could be on top-up benefits, so who would these people be able to afford nearly all capital expenditures let along land and multiply buildings.

Incidentally the last documentary I saw set in Africa was a couple of weeks ago, the issue at hand was land deputes in Tanzania between the generations of families, the main case involved ten acres of land near the village, that iirc amounted to $20,000. So not exactly pocket change is it.

After all sorts of tactics to drive off/discredit the inheriting daughter, the case was solve through negotiation and the daughter got her money, maybe not full value, and she was reconciled with the wider family. I think the uncle was at fault.

Tamas assertion only make sense if you have a Trumpian view of the world.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 22, 2018, 04:11:24 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 22, 2018, 04:09:55 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 22, 2018, 03:50:48 PM
Anyone else own Square?

Space?

Inc.

It's the web design portal I keep hearing advertised during some US originated podcasts?

If so, doesn't sound anything special.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on January 22, 2018, 04:21:21 PM
It's the web design portal I keep hearing advertised during some US originated podcasts?

Different.  Two year old startup that began with plastic card readers that attached to your handie so that small retailers could accept credit cards.

My understanding is they started operating in You Kay, so next time you're at the farmers' market see if any vendors have cell phones with little white plastic boxes sticking out the top.

Admiral Yi

And if you do see them, buy some turnips with a card so I can get a cut.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 22, 2018, 04:30:02 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 22, 2018, 04:21:21 PM

Different.  Two year old startup that began with plastic card readers that attached to your handie so that small retailers could accept credit cards.

My understanding is they started operating in You Kay, so next time you're at the farmers' market see if any vendors have cell phones with little white plastic boxes sticking out the top.

Thanks, so just a different kind of nothing special?

Admiral Yi

:lol:

Sure mongers.  It's not made out of wood or flax, and it makes people's lives easier, so it's not real.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 22, 2018, 05:19:17 PM
:lol:

Sure mongers.  It's not made out of wood or flax, and it makes people's lives easier, so it's not real.

My point was we've had those things for years over here, really nothing special.  :bowler:

If you want tech and innovative why not look up Rocket Lab, a US-Kiwi startup.  :cool:

Camerus

How much do youse allocate every year for speculative stocks / investments?  Dollar figure or % if anyone's inclined to answer.