Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

June was not the bottom. Capitulation hasn't happened yet.

Admiral Yi

I'm watching Eat the Rich, Netflix's docu on Gamestop.

Plenty of people are saying things that make me want to punch them, like "short sellers made the price drop."

Keith Gill aka Roaring Kitty aka Deep Fucking Value gets beat up as a market manipulator more than I remember he did the first time around.

Specifically, they're talking now about how Robinhood uses their interface to fuck with people and get them to trade more.  So Squeeze as a bona fide professional in this very field, can you tell me some ways in which interfaces do this?

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 09, 2022, 08:06:07 PMI'm watching Eat the Rich, Netflix's docu on Gamestop.

Plenty of people are saying things that make me want to punch them, like "short sellers made the price drop."

Keith Gill aka Roaring Kitty aka Deep Fucking Value gets beat up as a market manipulator more than I remember he did the first time around.

Specifically, they're talking now about how Robinhood uses their interface to fuck with people and get them to trade more.  So Squeeze as a bona fide professional in this very field, can you tell me some ways in which interfaces do this?

I've never used Robin Hood.
But I do remember reading a while ago how they use gamification tricks like happy little animations and dings when you buy, making the whole process of spending thousands in seconds seem like a game rather than the pretty serious thing it is.
I think RH even lets you do options with the same ease?

At a quick google a bunch of writeups out there facing those outside the field.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/dark-patterns-regulators-eye-tech-tricks-hurt-consumers-rcna4365
██████
██████
██████

MadImmortalMan

I think the SEC needs to investigate EA and the bloody gaming market for their loot box BS. At least children can't get a RobinHood account.

Also, I want to make a short ETF of Tom Lee's portfolio.

And another one of companies with fad goofy names ending in "ly".

"Grammarly"---The name itself is a grammatical error.  :D
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

HVC

Nvidea just lost a major manufacturer and their new cards have the tendency to catch on fire. I'd avoid them. Intel is trying to re-enter  the GPU market, if you want to invest in that, though with the continuing death of crypto none of them are a great bet. Unless it's a joke I don't get, then never mind :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Tamas

Admiral Yi

I ended up selling an Amazon put, which is a nice no decision type decision.

Josquius

Amd thoughts?

Was flying high but along with all else in a slump right now. Forecasts still have it at up to double current rates.
Thinking to get more of it whilst it's low sometime soon.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

I wouldn't buy any tech stocks before, say, middle of next year. It seems we are done with the "omg interest rate hikes" dumps, but the "omg it really is recession" dump is yet to come. And then there is the Fed's QT that shall continue to remove easy liquidity from the market.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 14, 2022, 04:04:46 PMThinking about buying.  Nvidia or AMD?

AMD's business is CPU and GPU.

They offer video cards for professionals and gamers, but they don't have a significant market share (around 10%, I think).   Their consumer CPUs are doing better with an average of 30-35% market share in the last two years.  Their server CPU market share is overing over 15% and growing.

However, that's pretty much all they do.

Nvidia's core business is no longer its GPU, they make good products and they are creaming the market, but where they make their money is their deep learning and AI business solutions.

AMD can offer a steady but small stock growth from it's consumer products, but I think Nvidia is poised to generate much more money over the long term.  No matter how bad they screw their consumers, people are always asking for more, so it does not seem to really matter.  Their sales are unaffected by their overpriced GPUs, their stock did not take a hit from their GPUs catching fire (they succesffully blamed it on their consumers misconnecting it; kinda curious it never happened with previous cards and other brands, as if consumers just suddenly became stupid - but it's another matter); they're like that guy getting pissed on his face on stage by a rock singer and asking for more.

I think overall AMD's stock will offer a small steady growth, but Nvidia is poised to give you better yieild due to their core AI/Deep learning business.

Intel is mostly a dividend stock.  Nothing truly revolutionary coming out of them, just steady improvements to their products.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

Thanks veep.  Nvidia it is when the opportunity presents.

Admiral Yi

US market has been pretty perky so far this year.  How are youse guys doing?