Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Habbaku

Quote from: Jacob on April 25, 2022, 10:28:58 AMI hope none of you had major positions on stocks traded on the Shanghai exchange. Looks like a roughly 40-50% drop across the board.

I don't buy Chinese stocks.  :smarty:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Jacob

If Musk - free speech enthusiast that he is - buys Twitter, what do you reckon the odds are he'll rescind Trump's ban?

DGuller

Chinese stock markets don't have circuit breakers?  :huh:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on April 25, 2022, 10:55:34 AMIf Musk - free speech enthusiast that he is - buys Twitter, what do you reckon the odds are he'll rescind Trump's ban?

25%

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

That makes sense.  Shanghai Composite Index is down 5%

Jacob

Quote from: Habbaku on April 25, 2022, 11:12:28 AM
Quote from: DGuller on April 25, 2022, 10:55:41 AMChinese stock markets don't have circuit breakers?  :huh:

I assume Jake means 4-5%.

Yeah... I was caught up in too many children shenanigans + "what did your friend say" translation on the fly :Embarrass:

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on April 25, 2022, 10:55:34 AMIf Musk - free speech enthusiast that he is - buys Twitter, what do you reckon the odds are he'll rescind Trump's ban?
100%.
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 25, 2022, 12:50:44 PM
100%.

I dunno - Musk is Trump-adjacent at times, but not a Trumpist.  I give it 50/50.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on April 25, 2022, 01:17:40 PMI dunno - Musk is Trump-adjacent at times, but not a Trumpist.  I give it 50/50.
I don't think it's necessarily because he's Trumpy. I think it's because he's talked a lot about free speech on Twitter and I can't think of a bigger, easier way to make a splash on that point.

An adjustment to their T&Cs or moderation policy won't really say much.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Knowing how shallow and vain Trump is, Musk might be gambling on being the one holding the reigns of twitter being worth a lot in government kickbacks et al for his other businesses should trump win again?
██████
██████
██████

alfred russel

Quote from: Josquius on April 25, 2022, 02:54:45 PMKnowing how shallow and vain Trump is, Musk might be gambling on being the one holding the reigns of twitter being worth a lot in government kickbacks et al for his other businesses should trump win again?

He runs a lot of very politically sensitive businesses. It does make a lot of sense for him to own a major media company.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Syt

https://www.npr.org/2022/04/26/1094870412/tesla-shares-sink-twitter-elon-musk?t=1651043498949

QuoteTesla shares sink, wipe out over $125 billion in value, as Musk scores Twitter deal

Taking over Twitter may be good for Elon Musk, but it hasn't been good for Tesla's shares.

One day after Twitter announced it had accepted Musk's $44 billion takeover bid, Tesla shares sank 12.2%, wiping out more than $125 billion off the electric vehicle maker's market value.

The falls come as Wall Street fretted about how the deal could impact the electric vehicle maker and its stock price.

When Musk announced he had secured the money to finance the transaction, he said he would cover $21 billion himself, with banks helping finance the other half.

What remains unclear is how he will come up with that money — whether he will sell some of the Tesla shares he owns, borrow against them, bring in additional investors, or all three.

There is also growing concern about whether owning Twitter would bring him into conflict over free speech with the government in China, a key market for Tesla where the auto maker also has significant production.

On top of that, there is the risk Musk could become distracted by his latest acquisition.

Musk is the CEO of Tesla and Space-X and is involved with other business ventures such as Neuralink, which develops brain implant technology, as well as The Boring Company, which makes tunnels.

Telsa had reported record earnings

Musk, who is the world's richest man, has a net worth of $257 billion, according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index But two-thirds of his wealth is in Telsa stock.

If Musk does offload some of those holdings, it could drive Tesla's share price down further. This is something the company warned investors about in its latest annual report, filed in February with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.

"If Elon Musk were forced to sell shares of our common stock that he has pledged to secure certain personal loan obligations, such shares could cause our stock price to decline," the company wrote.

It also could result in a hefty tax bill for Musk himself, who sold billions of dollars worth of Tesla shares last year. sending them sharply lower, as he engaged in heated back-and-forth with Democratic lawmakers about how billionaires should be taxed.

Last week, Tesla reported record earnings for the first quarter of 2022, despite high prices and supply-chain challenges. The company also presented a production forecast that impressed Wall Street.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.