Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

I've no idea - as I just have savings in funds. But I have recently moved out of purely socially responsible funds - my theory was given that I was volubly in favour of sending weapons to Ukraine and re-arming Europe I should probably not be so pious about the companies I'd be willing to have investments in.

Separately I have just re-claimed some very old occupational pension from ages ago (I'd not even really realised I had it) - I've put that into Sharia funds as I'm still young and apparently they're generally the best for growth (all equity, no debt).
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 05, 2022, 07:11:20 PMI've put that into Sharia funds as I'm still young and apparently they're generally the best for growth (all equity, no debt).

Don't know if it's true that no debt means high growth.  That's pretty much the entire reason for debt, to finance expansion.

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuayDllNbbE

Here's another one for you Hillary.  Berkshire-Hathaway discloses 11.4% share of Hewlitt-Packard, price rises 12%.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 05, 2022, 07:59:51 PMDon't know if it's true that no debt means high growth.  That's pretty much the entire reason for debt, to finance expansion.
As a very basic investor in funds it does though. You're just getting equity - no bonds etc to ballast the portfolio.

My understanding is there's been a study done on various funds in the UK open to the public and all the ones with the best returns are Sharia compliant for that reason.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 07, 2022, 11:03:23 AMAs a very basic investor in funds it does though. You're just getting equity - no bonds etc to ballast the portfolio.

My understanding is there's been a study done on various funds in the UK open to the public and all the ones with the best returns are Sharia compliant for that reason.

Ah, I misunderstood.  I thought you meant the fund held companies that had no debt on their balance sheets.  I.e. sharia compliant companies, not funds.

Sheilbh

They're vetted by a Sharia committee to ensure the investment is Sharia compliant - eg no alcohol, gambling companies etc.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

I had forgotten what an old Catholic church lady you are.  :P

Sheilbh

To be honest that stuff is why I only had ESG/socially responsible funds but I've gone back on that.

It's just a nice coincidence that funds with the best return are also more virtuous :goodboy:
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Huh.  Now I own 25 shares of Warner Bros Discovery after AT&T spun it off.

Josquius

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/elon-musk-offers-to-buy-twitter-for-4139-bn-104842104.html

Elon Musk has made an offer to buy Twitter with a bid that values the company at $43.4bn.

Just what is Elon up to 🤔
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Josquius on April 14, 2022, 06:34:51 AMhttps://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/elon-musk-offers-to-buy-twitter-for-4139-bn-104842104.html

Elon Musk has made an offer to buy Twitter with a bid that values the company at $43.4bn.

Just what is Elon up to 🤔

It's in the Musk thread already, and he is bluffing to pump and dump the 9% share he has already bought and has no intention to keep.

Admiral Yi

Anyone buying Netflix?  37% off, limited time only!

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 20, 2022, 01:57:24 PMAnyone buying Netflix?  37% off, limited time only!
You think?
I'm really not confident in netflix's future. It may have first mover advantage and big brand recognition but with the way the market is going...
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

I'm not buying Netflix.  Low or no margin commodity business, same as the music streamers.  I figure Disney is the only one of the streamers that has stickiness because of the Star Wars geek community.

I feel similarly about Google, which I own.  People will be using google for search and watching youtube for the next 2,000 years.

DGuller

Is it really commodity business?  Commodity business sounds like an old-school kind of business, as opposed to a network-effect winner-takes-all snowball kind of business.  Netflix strikes me as the latter kind of business:  we're all collectively worse off with having two streaming services competing with each other, because we have two infrastructures to support, and each one would be diminished due to exclusive content being present on only one or the other.