And we're back!

Main Menu

Rugby players from Wales are gay!

Started by Martinus, December 20, 2009, 06:39:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on December 20, 2009, 11:59:31 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on December 20, 2009, 04:31:45 PM
Loads of Euros play other games, they just don't watch them.

Ok I guess I am in awe about how they only follow one sport.  I mean as a sports fan I would want more than just one sport to follow.

Even if footie is the undisputed #1, there are loads of other sports that are followed everywhere, even if at a reduced level. For instance here in Spain fútbol is king, of course, but basketball, handball and indoor football leagues also have decent followings, and other individual sports such as tennis or motor sports also have good ratings. Then there are also more regional followings. For instance in Catalonia they follow loads of sports that are almost nowhere to be found in the rest of Spain, such as hockey (roller skates and field varieties), waterpolo, etc.

Other countries also have other sports with healthy followings, in France you get basketball and rugby, in the UK you have rugby union and rugby league, in Germany handball, in Italy volleyball, in the Czech Republic and Scandinavia you get ice hockey, etc.

Brazen

Quote from: The Larch on December 21, 2009, 11:38:28 AM
Other countries also have other sports with healthy followings, in France you get basketball and rugby, in the UK you have rugby union and rugby league, in Germany handball, in Italy volleyball, in the Czech Republic and Scandinavia you get ice hockey, etc.
It's even divided within the UK. In Wales, rugby is king. In Scotland and Ireland, they're probably on equal footing. In England, rugby is a distinct underdog.

Same with France, really. The north is all football, the south is rugby all the way.

The Larch

Quote from: Brazen on December 21, 2009, 12:04:49 PM
It's even divided within the UK. In Wales, rugby is king. In Scotland and Ireland, they're probably on equal footing. In England, rugby is a distinct underdog.

Same with France, really. The north is all football, the south is rugby all the way.

For Ireland you also have to count Gaelic sports. They really love their hurling and Irish football over there.

Brazen

Quote from: The Larch on December 21, 2009, 12:08:30 PM
For Ireland you also have to count Gaelic sports. They really love their hurling and Irish football over there.
Gaelic football, no there's a game for real men.

As a side observation, field hockey is probably the only sport where men's and women's is on equal footing.

The Larch

Quote from: Brazen on December 21, 2009, 12:18:54 PM
Quote from: The Larch on December 21, 2009, 12:08:30 PM
Gaelic sports, now there's a game for real, toothless and heavily concussed men.

FYP.

Syt

Quote from: Brazen on December 21, 2009, 12:18:54 PM
Gaelic football, no there's a game for real men.

Some of the real Irish Pubs over here (not the ones run by Chinese or Austrians or Slavs) show games on tv. Worth checking out?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Larch

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Quote from: The Larch on December 21, 2009, 12:25:20 PM
Quote from: Syt on December 21, 2009, 12:24:35 PM
WTF?
Vienna Gaels - Gaelic Football in Vienna
:huh:

Bored Irish expats?

Looking at their roster it seems 50/50. They're sponsored by two well known pubs and Anglo Irish Bank.
Speaking of their sponsors: Flannagan's is really nice. Won "Best Irish Pub in Europe" a couple years ago.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Brazen

Quote from: Syt on December 21, 2009, 12:23:18 PM
Some of the real Irish Pubs over here (not the ones run by Chinese or Austrians or Slavs) show games on tv. Worth checking out?
Just long enough to say, "Holy shit, there's rules?"

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on December 20, 2009, 11:59:31 PM
Ok I guess I am in awe about how they only follow one sport.  I mean as a sports fan I would want more than just one sport to follow.
Well it's a bit different depending on area.  As well as the examples Larch mentions there's also cricket in the UK.  Those are just the team sports.  I mean in the UK lots of people watch F1 and I watch the tennis and the snooker and one of my flatmates is an avid darts fan.

And within football there are different leagues.  In the UK there are 4 professional leagues.  Many people will support a premiership team but 'their' team is actually in League Two.  A friend of mine's a fan of Southampton who are in League One but also follows Spurs in the Premiership.  There are also people who love to watch foreign football because it's played in a different way.  When I was a kid and my older brother came to visit we'd watch Football Italia and now, despite being an Everton fan and watching the Premiership (and the cricket, rugby and tennis) he also watches a lot of Serie A games.  I believe Norge's not too uncommon in supporting a Norwegian team and an English one.

Though I'd say that while a lot of my friends will watch football if it's on they don't really follow the sport (they watch highlights rather than full matches) they follow their team.

QuoteLooking at their roster it seems 50/50. They're sponsored by two well known pubs and Anglo Irish Bank.
I still mean to read Netherland which is at least partly about a cricket team in New York.
Let's bomb Russia!

Cerr

Quote from: The Larch on December 21, 2009, 12:25:20 PM
Quote from: Syt on December 21, 2009, 12:24:35 PM
WTF?
Vienna Gaels - Gaelic Football in Vienna
:huh:

Bored Irish expats?
Yeah we get around.  :D

There's even two foreign GAA teams (London and New York) included in the major tournaments in Gaelic Football and Hurling.

Barrister

Quote from: Brazen on December 21, 2009, 12:04:49 PM

Does curling have any kind of following in Scotland? :scots:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on December 21, 2009, 02:43:13 PM
Does curling have any kind of following in Scotland? :scots:
Yes.  Though it's a game you're more likely to play than watch (except internationally).  I think I'm the only curling fan in England :(
Let's bomb Russia!