News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

American Baseball Association. Est. 1901.

Started by Syt, December 19, 2009, 07:39:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

And the Philadelphia Blues win it in game nine of the series.

Amusing bit from game 7:
QuoteTempers were flaring yesterday at Field of the Sluggers. Both the Sluggers and Blues were defending their turf. A few punches were thrown, but fortunately very few landed -- there was more wrestling than fighting. When the umpires sorted everything out, The Bronx's Tom Stephens and Philadelphia's Víctor Costello were ejected from the game.

Today the league office suspended Stephens and Costello for 12 games each.

This season Stephens is batting .297 with 157 hits, 1 home run, 60 RBIs, 60 walks, .381 OBP and has scored 79 runs. He has played in 144 games.

This year Costello has worked 321.2 innings with 76 strikeouts en route to a 26-10 record and 2.01 ERA.
:lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Also, oddly, no Bronx players in the season's best fielder voting:
Pitcher: Joe Berry (Cincinnati Cyclopes)
Catcher: Mack Jones (Atlanta Rebels)
First Baseman: Holden Reid (Atlanta Rebels)
Second Baseman: John Swain (Pittsburgh Red Caps)
Third Baseman: Pierre Beaudet (Atlanta Rebels)
Shortstop: Orlando Espinoza (Cincinnati Cyclopes)
Left Fielder: Pancho García (Brooklyn Brawlers)
Center Fielder: Gustavo Ferreira (Baltimore Beefeaters)
Right Fielder: Jeff Adams (Cleveland 86ers)

Philadelphia steals three spots in the Union League:
Pitcher: Gabe Haney (Milwaukee Whites)
Catcher: Adam Hart (Louisville Lightning)
First Baseman: Eric White (Louisville Lightning)
Second Baseman: Marc MacIock (St. Louis Knickerbockers)
Third Baseman: Ricardo Moreno (Boston Irish)
Shortstop: Chris Zimmerman (Philadelphia Blues)
Left Fielder: Jon Watts (Detroit Diggers)
Center Fielder: Henry Bauer (Philadelphia Blues)
Right Fielder: Bill Sullivan (Philadelphia Blues)

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

After a losing season in 1902, the Red Caps are going strong after acquiring some decent pitchers and improving a few fielding positions, even though they suffer plenty injuries and lack some depth - LF Ozaki is especially prone to break or pull something. (Championship was again between Philadelphia and the Bronx, Bronx won the series 5-0).

After a 100 games in the '03 season they lead the Federal League 3.5 games before the Bronx Sluggers.

And just now they blew out the Cincy Cyclopes 19-2 (CC's are 49-51). :lol: Their pitcher, Sourley, was removed after 5 innings (and 9 runs), scoring -2  :shutup:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

And the Red Caps go to the All American Championship Series. :yeah:

Of course their best player, Tom Hawkins, best Short Stop in the game, is injured for the next three weeks. :bleeding:

Scary, though, how the Blues curbstomped the Union League.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Sophie Scholl

Cleveland Rocks!  Next year, we'll win it all!  Go Spiders, go Spiders!  (That's right, we fans have renamed the franchise in our hearts, if not in the books.) :)
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Syt

I guess that's got mainly to do with this dude:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Sophie Scholl

:o  Daaaaaamn.  It's art imitating life, with Jose Sanchez standing in for Zack Greinke!  Too bad the Royals don't come close to the 86er's win totals.  Damned impressive stats though for Sanchez.  The "Outsanding Pitcher Award", hahaha.  It needs the Cleveland Spiders' own Cy Young's name attached.  Although, maybe in your alternate league it'll become known as the Jose Sanchez Award.  Hmmm...
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Syt

Quote from: Judas Iscariot on December 27, 2009, 06:25:07 AM
Although, maybe in your alternate league it'll become known as the Jose Sanchez Award.  Hmmm...

yeah, I left the default names for awards. If I run the league long enough I'll probably rename them at some point after deserving previous players.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Meh. We led the series 2-0, then fell behind 3-4 to tie again at 4-4. The final game we led 3-1, but lost 3-4. :P

Of course two main players (Ramos and Rutledge) got injured during the series. <_<
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

6 weeks into the 1904 season Tim Hawkins ruptures a disk and will be out 8 months minimum.  :cry2:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Sophie Scholl

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 28, 2009, 12:41:26 AM
What game is this?

Out of the Park Baseball.

I finished the 1904 season 3rd (14 games behind, the 2nd ranked was 13 games behind). Bronx vs. Philly (again) in the championship series. Phillies won (again).

Half way through the 1905 season things aren't so bad, but not so good, either. My important people aren't injured (except Ozaki who's out for the season), and we're 4 games behind #1, so this might be better.

After first four seasons my winning percentage was exactly .500, mostly because my first two seasons sucked royally.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Sophie Scholl

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on December 19, 2009, 07:39:17 AM
Play will be organized in two leagues, Union and Federal:

Awesomeness.  Zombie Sherman and Zombie Grant appreciate it.

"We've got both kinds of music--Country AND Western!"