News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Need a HDTV

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 18, 2009, 07:46:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Room size dictates about a 40-50 inch. What should I get?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

dps

Something around 40-50"?   :P

DGuller

This time of the year, you have to be careful with what HDTV model you buy.  Many makers have dumbed down models being sold in retail stores during holiday seasons, so sometimes the low price seems deceptive.  They have model numbers very similar to the more expensive models, which IMO is a bit too deceptive.

For what it's worth, I have a 46" Samsung, and I'm happy with it.

Tonitrus

If it matters, 42" is about the limit where one can move it around without a second person.

I hear that lately, Samsung's are quite good.

DGuller

I installed my 46" TV all by myself. :smarty:

citizen k

Quote from: DGuller on December 18, 2009, 09:20:37 PM
I installed my 46" TV all by myself. :smarty:

What model did you end up getting?

DGuller

LaCroix

42" utterly dominates the living room of a 1000 or so square foot house. just throwing that out there. ;)

DGuller

Quote from: Lacroix on December 19, 2009, 02:15:44 AM
42" utterly dominates the living room of a 1000 or so square foot house. just throwing that out there. ;)
Let me guess, you have a 42" TV?  :P

Tonitrus

I have a 42", and much less than 1000sq ft.  It hardly dominates.

LaCroix

three bedroom house for me--small living room. it could fit a papasan, a couch, the tv, and a coffee table with hardly any space to move around (except in front of the tv).

Josquius

My parents just got some £499.99 LG thing....Its nice and shiny and big. Only 42" though. I have a pretty big old fashioned TV of my own, now I feel deprived.
██████
██████
██████

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: DGuller on December 19, 2009, 01:09:26 AM
LN46A550.

Mrs. MIM has this same exact TV in her wish list on Amazon. I can't take a woman's word for it.  :P

But: 1080p, 4 HDMIs, 70,000:1. Seems good. You happy?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

DGuller

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 21, 2009, 01:53:42 AM
Quote from: DGuller on December 19, 2009, 01:09:26 AM
LN46A550.

Mrs. MIM has this same exact TV in her wish list on Amazon. I can't take a woman's word for it.  :P

But: 1080p, 4 HDMIs, 70,000:1. Seems good. You happy?
Yes, I'm perfectly happy.  The two knocks against it is supposedly poor sound (I don't care about sound so I can't evaluate that complaint), and the lack of closed captioning (which I don't use anymore, and I guess that neither do English-speaking non-deaf people).

Pedrito

I own a 50" samsung plasma TV, model PSP50Q96FD, full HD, since two years ago and I must say I'm not satisfied;
to clarify: the image quality is great, the blacks are very black and the contrast rate is pretty good, but when displaying large tracts of white or very light colors the tv emits a low buzz that increases with the increase of white displayed.
I called the service and they replaced don't know which jizzbit inside the tv, but the problem remains.
While watching a movie it is barely preceivable, but as I lower the volume it becomes obnoxious

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot: