Obama gives Queen Elizabeth II an Ipod with his speeches

Started by Weatherman, April 01, 2009, 08:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Quote from: Delirium on April 02, 2009, 04:34:43 AM
What's the difference between a power adapter and a voltage adapter?

1/current :nerd:

I think Arkestra means a plug adapter (or thought DGUller meant a plug adapter); power and voltage are directly related in this case.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Warspite

Quote from: Savonarola on April 02, 2009, 07:58:24 AM

I think Arkestra means a plug adapter (or thought DGUller meant a plug adapter); power and voltage are directly related in this case.

Most power/plug adapters sold just sort the prongs out. But to use US equipment in Europe and vice versa, you need the appropriate voltage adapter.

For comparison, a plug adapter costs about £3. A voltage adapter, about £60.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 02, 2009, 02:43:25 AM
Well surely there's an entire deparment in the State Department that deals with protocol and this sort of thing.

No you are mistaken.  It is all Obama - he personally loads up all the foreign leader Ipod tracks and sends them on with a BFF note.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Slargos

Quote from: Warspite on April 02, 2009, 08:44:35 AM
Quote from: Savonarola on April 02, 2009, 07:58:24 AM

Most power/plug adapters sold just sort the prongs out. But to use US equipment in Europe and vice versa, you need the appropriate voltage adapter.

Aren't most appliance adapters already set up for dual use?

saskganesh

heh. I wonder what Mr. Battenberg is thinking?

shit, the brits are short.

humans were created in their own image

Hansmeister

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 02, 2009, 02:43:25 AM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 02, 2009, 01:09:57 AM
The region 1 cockup was pretty stupid, but I just can't see myself in Obama's position having any clue what kind of gift to give on a state visit. I'd probably do something really moronic like giving Angela Merkel Goring's Field Marshal baton from the Infantry Museum at Ft. Benning.
Well surely there's an entire deparment in the State Department that deals with protocol and this sort of thing.

According to Newsweek the White House was unaware that the State department had a protocol office.  :lol:

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Neil

Quote from: saskganesh on April 02, 2009, 09:12:01 AM
No doubt something hillarious that would offend black people everywhere.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Caliga

Actually, I think it's that the Obamas are tall.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Minsky Moment

Here's the Torygraph's take on ipod-gate and the US protocol:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financetopics/g20-summit/5090471/President-Obama-gives-the-Queen-an-iPod.html

QuoteThe Queen was delighted as the iPod was loaded with images of her trip to Virginia as part of her official tour of the United States two years ago, in 2007 . . . Mr Obama was the only G20 leader granted a private meeting with the Queen

Here's what the Sun had to say:

QuoteBARACK Obama gave the Queen a personalised iPod last night as president met monarch for the first time . . . And it showed the US leader's thoughtfulness — as the Queen is known to be a fan of iPods and has one that can hold 100,000 songs.

Not surprisingly, the only people who seem to be insulted are Obama's dittohead critics at home.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Savonarola

Calling a plug adapter a power adapter is misleading since a plug adapter doesn't change the power (though they could be marketed as that in the UK.)  A voltage adapter does change the power; and in the United States they're commonly marketed as power adapters. 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ed Anger

Soon, she will shrink into nothingness, and Charles will turn into a tampon.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Magnus

Quote from: Savonarola on April 02, 2009, 09:32:31 AM

Calling a plug adapter a power adapter is misleading since a plug adapter doesn't change the power (though they could be marketed as that in the UK.)  A voltage adapter does change the power; and in the United States they're commonly marketed as power adapters.
Even the NEW, and well not really improved, lanquish is all about minutiae. Best I know the most common name for it all is, power cord and (voltage) adapter.

About the photo blacks are tall, old whitey is short, but honestly Philip, I assume that is Philip, doesn't look like a guy I wanna mess with. I'd take the old man in an honest fight, but the greek bastard looks like he has something up his sleeve. You know what they say about WW2 people, either trickey or dead.

Berkut

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 02, 2009, 09:30:11 AM
Here's the Torygraph's take on ipod-gate and the US protocol:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financetopics/g20-summit/5090471/President-Obama-gives-the-Queen-an-iPod.html

QuoteThe Queen was delighted as the iPod was loaded with images of her trip to Virginia as part of her official tour of the United States two years ago, in 2007 . . . Mr Obama was the only G20 leader granted a private meeting with the Queen

Here's what the Sun had to say:

QuoteBARACK Obama gave the Queen a personalised iPod last night as president met monarch for the first time . . . And it showed the US leader's thoughtfulness — as the Queen is known to be a fan of iPods and has one that can hold 100,000 songs.

Not surprisingly, the only people who seem to be insulted are Obama's dittohead critics at home.

Well, the brits are certainly taking it much better than most Americans.

It does seem like such a crass gift though - is Best Buy Obamas sponsor or something?

There was some guy from the Guardian on NPR this morning who said the protocol people where more concerned about the fact that Mochelle Obama put her arm around the Queens shoulders - which was not kosher or something, I guess. In fact, he said he doesn't think it has ever been done.

The Queen reacted with aplomb though, and put her arm round Mrs. Obama's waist, and the Special Relationship will apparently survive.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on April 02, 2009, 09:49:54 AM
Well, the brits are certainly taking it much better than most Americans.

It does seem like such a crass gift though - is Best Buy Obamas sponsor or something?

I guess the question is what is the expected diplomatic gift?  Maybe this sort of crap is par for the course.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."