News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

So I'm thinking of getting into painting minis

Started by Razgovory, December 18, 2009, 12:57:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

citizen k

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Iormlund

Quote from: The Brain on December 18, 2009, 03:34:12 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on December 18, 2009, 02:52:08 PM
Are those Undead yours Brain? They look great, except ... they are way too clean.

:ultra: :ultra: :ultra:

Sorry, it's a pet peeve of mine. Games Workshop dudes paint their Undead minis like that as well. I can't quite comprehend why. They are supposed to have been rusting and exposed to the elements for up to several thousand years (especially Khemri armies).

Razgovory

Okay.  I'm thinking of getting the http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1430027&prodId=prod1095437

Seems like a good place to start.  Paints, glues, basing, that sorta stuff.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Quote from: Iormlund on December 19, 2009, 08:26:16 AM
Are those Undead yours Brain? They look great, except ... they are way too clean.

Sorry, it's a pet peeve of mine. Games Workshop dudes paint their Undead minis like that as well. I can't quite comprehend why. They are supposed to have been rusting and exposed to the elements for up to several thousand years (especially Khemri armies).

They have stayed in the dry desert, getting bleached by the sun and they don't use iron. Some iron armed dude crawling out of a swamp in the Empire would be a different matter.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Iormlund

Quote from: The Brain on December 19, 2009, 10:20:33 AM

They have stayed in the dry desert, getting bleached by the sun and they don't use iron. Some iron armed dude crawling out of a swamp in the Empire would be a different matter.

:huh: Cloth and copper age as well, it is not a phenomenon restricted to iron.

The Brain

Quote from: Iormlund on December 19, 2009, 12:14:14 PM
Quote from: The Brain on December 19, 2009, 10:20:33 AM

:huh: Cloth and copper age as well, it is not a phenomenon restricted to iron.

Rusting is.

Bluebook

Ok, so after painting them, what do you guys do with them?

The Brain

Quote from: Bluebook on December 20, 2009, 02:30:05 PM
Ok, so after painting them, what do you guys do with them?

I put them in my closet. I am: CdM of tabletop gaming.

The Brain

Actually this thread has gotten me thinking about finally painting my Baccus 6 mm Great Northern War armies.

Josquius

Remortgage your house if you're getting into warhammer....they're damn expensive and getting worse by the year.

Quote from: The Brain on December 18, 2009, 02:22:39 PM
Quote from: katmai on December 18, 2009, 01:02:38 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 18, 2009, 12:57:31 PM
I need a hobby, and I've always wanted to paint miniatures.  I think it would be good to keep my mind occupied and keep me quit.  Any idea where I could start?  Like paints and stuff?  Not sure what models I want.  I was thinking of some of these http://www.copplestonecastings.co.uk/range.php?range=BOB

Grumbler is the man to talk about minis, though jacob has been doing or was doing a lot of research into different versions recently.

:rolleyes:

Raz, I have some experience as well. Unlike the Alaskan goldfish some posters may remember my painting hundreds of minis and posting pics on Languish. I use mostly Games Workshop paints which may not be the absolute best but they are OK I think. I have looked at that mini range you linked before and it seems to be pretty cool.

What are the vikings from?
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on December 19, 2009, 04:10:08 AM
Personally, I prefer dioramas.

I can see why.  Only in your world do the Soviets eat the living Germans during battle.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Richard Hakluyt

Music goes well with the painting............I suggest you also investigate expanding your musical interests once you start painting.