What's the furthest distance you've ever driven on a single trip (one way)?

Started by Caliga, December 11, 2009, 08:50:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's the furthest distance you've ever driven on a single trip (one way)?

less than 10 miles/15 km
2 (4.1%)
10-50 miles/16-80 km
1 (2%)
51-100 miles/81-160 km
0 (0%)
101-250 miles/161 km-400 km
3 (6.1%)
251-500 miles/401-800 km
9 (18.4%)
501-1000 miles/801-1600 km
13 (26.5%)
1000-5000 miles/1601-8000 km
19 (38.8%)
5001+ miles/8001+ km
2 (4.1%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 11, 2009, 12:54:49 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 11, 2009, 12:29:06 PM
Voted for the first option as I have never driven anywhere  :P

:lol: and if we count shotgun rides?

The longest without stops used to be when my father drove the family from Germany to Northern England (or vice versa) back in the 1950s and 60s. About 800 miles or so and 48 hours. It was in a weeny British car of the period and only Germany had motorways. The 350-mile stretch in England was mainly at about 30mph  :lol:

When me and my wife used to go on holiday (ie pre disabled kid days); we would drive to the country of interest (eg Spain, Austria, Italy) and then tool around an area for 3 weeks before coming home. Those trips would weigh in at about a 1000 miles there, a 1000 miles back and about 3000 miles in total

PDH

Most in one day for me has been Laramie, Wyoming to Monterey, California.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

BuddhaRhubarb

if the bus counts then from Winnipeg to van would probably be the longest. been driven on the train, though from sea to sea.

i have only a vague idea how far those distances are. I've gone from NB to Toronto and back more times than I can recall in cars as a kid. also the Trawna to Winnipeg trip I've done a few times. that's no fun either.
:p

Iormlund

Quote from: Barrister on December 11, 2009, 12:46:56 PM
Quote from: Tamas on December 11, 2009, 12:46:01 PM
About 700kms to this year's Languish meet in Italy. It was mighty fun. I went alone, overdosed on energy drinks and enjoyed it greatly. Can't wait to do something similar.

:yes:

I don't get people who complain about long car trips.  It's the best way to see the world.

Some parts of the world don't deserve being seen. For example, Castille. Long, straight roads with brownish tones all over are incredibly dull.

Anyway, my solo record is fairly low, just over 110 miles, traveling to nearby cities (Teruel, Logroño). My boss is mightily afraid of me getting sick again if I'm too much in the field, otherwise I'd have done quite a few 1000 km trips by now as have all my workmates.

Josquius

My dream is to get one of those hippy vans (or a modern equivalent) and just drive around Europe.
It would be truly awesome.

(note: not my one dream. That would be pathetic. Just something I'd love to do)
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

I'm thinking of getting one of those hippy vans (modern equivalent) in the hope that autistic dude will treat it as "home" so that we can once again get mobile for our holidays.

Trouble is that the nice ones start at about £20k, so I wouldn't mind knowing if it was going to work out before laying out the cash  :huh:

I reckon a rental is the way forward.

merithyn

Road Trips where I was a driver:

Iowa City, IA to Phoenix AZ - 1663mi  (three drivers)
Iowa City, IA to Orlando Fl - 1296mi (two drivers)
Des Moines, IA to Wyoming, RI - 1253mi (six drivers in three cars)
Lowell, MA to Schaumburg, IL via New Hampshire & Vermont - 1015mi (two drivers)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 12, 2009, 04:16:03 PM
I'm thinking of getting one of those hippy vans (modern equivalent) in the hope that autistic dude will treat it as "home" so that we can once again get mobile for our holidays.

Trouble is that the nice ones start at about £20k, so I wouldn't mind knowing if it was going to work out before laying out the cash  :huh:

I'm planning a holiday with some friends.  Buy a van of some sort, drive down to the South-West of France.  Camp, swim, surf, drink wine.  Return.

Sounds almost perfect to me.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ed Anger

I thought about buying an RV. It enters my mind, then disappears for a while.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 12, 2009, 06:59:52 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 12, 2009, 04:16:03 PM

I'm planning a holiday with some friends.  Buy a van of some sort, drive down to the South-West of France.  Camp, swim, surf, drink wine.  Return.

Sounds almost perfect to me.

Sounds great. I like to have options on a break. As in, if SW France disappoints you can proceed to Spain or Morocco  :cool:

Also, IMO the best bits of France are obscure villages, odd provincial restaurants and bars etc etc......

Paris is fun, but is no more "France" than London is "England".

Caliga

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 12, 2009, 07:01:30 PM
Princesca and I have talked about doing that.  We probably will in like 10 years once the mortgage is paid off.

Her mom's family is an RV kinda family.  Her mother used to spend at least one week a year in the Outer Banks camping from her parents' RV.  They used to take it down to Florida someplace fairly often too, but I forget where (Clearwater?)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on December 14, 2009, 09:16:35 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on December 12, 2009, 07:01:30 PM
Princesca and I have talked about doing that.  We probably will in like 10 years once the mortgage is paid off.

Her mom's family is an RV kinda family.  Her mother used to spend at least one week a year in the Outer Banks camping from her parents' RV.  They used to take it down to Florida someplace fairly often too, but I forget where (Clearwater?)

I want to be that dad that loads the kids up in the RV, drive them to obscure museums and bore them silly.

THE GUS GRISSOM MUSEUM IS OPEN!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive