What's the furthest distance you've ever driven on a single trip (one way)?

Started by Caliga, December 11, 2009, 08:50:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's the furthest distance you've ever driven on a single trip (one way)?

less than 10 miles/15 km
2 (4.1%)
10-50 miles/16-80 km
1 (2%)
51-100 miles/81-160 km
0 (0%)
101-250 miles/161 km-400 km
3 (6.1%)
251-500 miles/401-800 km
9 (18.4%)
501-1000 miles/801-1600 km
13 (26.5%)
1000-5000 miles/1601-8000 km
19 (38.8%)
5001+ miles/8001+ km
2 (4.1%)

Total Members Voted: 49

dps

Admiral Yi

Drove cross country (Mass to Reno to SF to Seattle) but with stops on the way.  Longest one shot was DC to Detroit (two drivers, 19 hours).

Grey Fox

I rode shotgun for all but 2h, where I did drive, from Montreal to Edmonton. 42h of it.

Only stop was for 6h in WaWa, Ontario. Out of gas, all stations were close.

3718km
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

PDH

Monterey, California to New York City.  That was a good drive, I remember being high as a kite on Dunkin Donuts coffee at 3am somewhere in Ohio...

edit - we had three drivers, some spending money, and a high tolerance for junk food.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Admiral Yi

Oh yeah, also drove LA to Seattle one shot, two drivers.  Not sure if that's longer or shorter than DC Detroit.

sbr

I drove alone from about an hour east of LA to Portland in one straight run.  That is over 1000 miles, it took about 18 hours with stops only for gas, coffee and bathroom. 

We used to drive to St Louis every summer in the folks motor home, I was only old enough to drive the last time, and we stopped every night.  We also drove the damn thing from Alaska to Portland; I was old enough for that trip but didn't spend much time driving in Canada, which is most of it.  Both Anchorage and St Louis are about 1500 miles according to Wiki answers.

Tonitrus

Can I count San Antonio -> Anchorage, with a week-and-a-half break in Seattle, as one trip, or do I gotta split that up?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 11, 2009, 11:39:32 AM
Can I count San Antonio -> Anchorage, with a week-and-a-half break in Seattle, as one trip, or do I gotta split that up?
Depends.  Did you keep the motor running?

viper37

Quote from: Caliga on December 11, 2009, 08:50:58 AM
Ok, I'm sure Kat or Beeb will 'win' this poll, but I figured I'd ask anyway, since I am curious.  I am planning on driving to New Jersey this summer to go to my cousin's wedding and I calculated that it'll be a 702 mile trip, one way.  I think the longest I ever drove myself in one trip before was from Boston to Louisville, which was 970 miles given the idiotic route my mother in law insisted on taking.
658km.  From home to Shediac (NB).
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Tonitrus

Well, because I was "sightseeing", even just San Antonio to Seattle was 3500 miles...adding in Anchorage makes it roughly 6200(according to Google maps).  I think I recall my trip odometer was at near 8000 for the total trip, though.

Monoriu

Last year I drove 165 km from Horbat, Tasmania to Launceston in the morning, then drove another 165 km back in the afternoon. 

MadBurgerMaker

Either Pensacola to San Diego or San Antonio to Seattle, don't know which is longer, don't care, both were:  :bleeding:

Barrister

Let's see, notable can trips:

Winnipeg->Minneapolis->Chicago->Lansing MI 1083 mi one way

St. Paul, AB -> Dawson City, Yukon 1702 mi one way

Whitehorse -> Seward, Alaska 830 mi

Calgary -> Winnipeg (done this so many, many times) 825 mi

London -> Inverness 561 mi

Frankfurt-> Krakow 603 mi Krakow -> Budapest 242 mi Budapest -> Leichtenstein 593 mi Lichtenstein -> Frankfurt 294 mi total 1732 mi

Frankfurt -> Rome 823 mi

Except for the eastern europe trip all were done as round tips, so the mileage should be doubled.

Which just goes to show that the distances up north are HUGE, as it's kat, myself, and Tonitrus with the biggest numbers.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sahib

Not personally, but I was on family trip from Poland to Grenoble, France. Which was more than 2000 km IIRC.
Stonewall=Worst Mod ever