Guantanamo a Relaxing Place, Miss Universe says.

Started by Josephus, April 01, 2009, 08:13:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on April 02, 2009, 03:25:55 PM
Quote from: Berkut on April 02, 2009, 03:09:55 PM

Just because you repeat the lie often enough does not turn it into the truth.

Ironically enough, this very issue proves that I am incorrect.

So which lie are you talking about.  The beauty queen's description of what she saw?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 02, 2009, 03:43:55 PM
That is where the criticism of the military comes in.  Surely someone could have figured out that it was possible to be taken that way.
You want to eliminate all speech that can be misconstrued? :lol:

She visited the US troops at Guantanamo Bay to boost their morale.  She wasn't on a fact finding mission for the Amnesty International.  She said it was lovely and relaxing, which I assume it is.  It's a Caribbean beach after all.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 02, 2009, 03:56:12 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 02, 2009, 03:43:55 PM
That is where the criticism of the military comes in.  Surely someone could have figured out that it was possible to be taken that way.
You want to eliminate all speech that can be misconstrued? :lol:

Yi, its not like you to make such a silly comment.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 02, 2009, 03:58:21 PM
Yi, its not like you to make such a silly comment.
I didn't think the comment was silly at all.  Would a reasonable, open-minded, objective person come to the conclusion that she finds the holding cages at Gitmo relaxing?  I believe not.  Is it possible that *some* people could leap to that conclusion?  Of course.

crazy canuck

Your silly comment was that I was suggesting that all speech that might be misinterpreted should be banned.

You, the beauty queen and the military are also turning a blind eye to the history and closure of this place.  She could have said all kinds of stuff to boost morale of the troops.  "They were great" "What a great bunch of guys, they really treated me well" on and on and on.  But to say that she found the place relaxing after also describing here visit to where the detainees are held is a laughable misstep. 

I suppose Obama is closing the detention centre because it is just too damn relaxing.

garbon

Considering that we all know that isn't what she meant...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

This is beginning to look like the old Languish at last. :)
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

FunkMonk

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 02, 2009, 04:21:03 PM
You, the beauty queen and the military are also turning a blind eye to the history and closure of this place.  She could have said all kinds of stuff to boost morale of the troops.  "They were great" "What a great bunch of guys, they really treated me well" on and on and on.  But to say that she found the place relaxing after also describing here visit to where the detainees are held is a laughable misstep. 

She did say that they (the soldiers) were a great bunch of guys and she had a fun and incredible time with them.  :huh:
Now I can see the contention over her stating the place was relaxing and calm. She's obviously thinking about the tropical atmosphere and how well she was treated by the servicemembers there, but to say that at Gitmo, the world's most notorious prison camp, may raise some eyebrows.

But the USO and the military organized the show for the servicemembers, not for you or me or the rest of the world. Whatever she said after the trip and posted on her blog should reflect upon her judgements and misjudgements. To blame the military and the USO for your interpretation of her meaning is "silly".

I'm obviously a bit biased here, me being a serviceman who knows the value of these shows.

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Josephus

Miss Universes should be given a script by their PR peeps on what to say, and never, ever, told to ad-lib it.

Sort of like politiicans.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: FunkMonk on April 02, 2009, 05:30:31 PM
But the USO and the military organized the show for the servicemembers, not for you or me or the rest of the world. Whatever she said after the trip and posted on her blog should reflect upon her judgements and misjudgements. To blame the military and the USO for your interpretation of her meaning is "silly".

I don't think its a question of blame.  it is just mildly amusing in an incongruous kind of way.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

FunkMonk

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 02, 2009, 05:54:03 PM

it is just mildly amusing in an incongruous kind of way.

Yes, it is.  :D I admit I snickered when I read the headline.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Caliga

Why is everyone making a big deal out of the specifics of her comments?  SHE'S A DUMB BIMBO, PEOPLE.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Neil

Quote from: Caliga on April 02, 2009, 06:15:25 PM
Why is everyone making a big deal out of the specifics of her comments?  SHE'S A DUMB BIMBO, PEOPLE.
Hatred of America.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 02, 2009, 04:21:03 PM
Your silly comment was that I was suggesting that all speech that might be misinterpreted should be banned.
OK.  My first thought was criticizing a person on the grounds that they made a comment which can be misinterpreted is not that different from what I said.  My second thought was that the issue is perhaps too pedantic to continue on.  Finally my third thought was that you are not in favor of limiting *all* miscontruable comments but only those comments which can be misconstrued as support for an objectionable POV or condemnation for a laudable POV.  So silly comment withdrawn.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Martinus on April 02, 2009, 10:31:09 AM
What about "chillaxing"?
I vote "gellin' like a felon." That'd earn us some revenue dollars from the Dr. Scholl's endorsement on top of sounding cool. :contract:
Experience bij!