can't connect to internet

Started by Syt, December 09, 2009, 01:30:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Syt on December 09, 2009, 02:53:48 PM
DHCP is activated

That might be your problem.  Try setting a static IP (as has been suggested), based upon your router's default gateway IP.  E.g., if your router is configured to be 192.168.1.1, try going into your Windows IP settings & making your PC's IP address something like 192.168.1.10

Just make sure you also enter the correct default gateway when you're setting your static IP in Winders.  The key here is making sure your PC knows where to talk to (i.e., the correct default gateway IP) and that the router and PC agree on your PC's IP address.  An additional step *may* be to set the static IP in the router as well, if the above doesn't work.

DHCP is great when it works, but can be a pain to troubleshoot when it doesn't.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

Quote from: Cerr on December 10, 2009, 06:45:40 AM
You had norton on it before? That can mess up internet settings. If you have't already, google norton removal tool. Use that and it'll remove all traces of norton on your computer. That might help.

That did the trick!

Thanks for the help, everyone! :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 10, 2009, 12:29:02 PM
Also, get a router.

I thought he said he had a router  :Embarrass:

I guess that explains his funky IP address.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall