News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Dems agree to drop full-blown public option

Started by citizen k, December 09, 2009, 02:34:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 09, 2009, 12:59:10 PM
Do you know if that cost gets included in the total health care spending numbers that get thrown around?
I think that's generally included in the cost of higher education spending :)
Let's bomb Russia!

KRonn

Looks like you guys are having a more efficient debate on health care than our highly esteemed Congress!! Hmmm....Must be that the Senate bill needs another thousand pages of fine print that no one can read, understand or decipher, in order to come to the same conclusions and ideas that some of you all have!    ;)

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 09, 2009, 01:43:22 PM
DGuller, question for you.  How costly is actuarial work?  Would it contribute significantly to the difference in overhead?

Reason I ask is Medicare doesn't do any.
It's pretty costly on a per-person basis, but I have no idea how much it adds up to on a total basis.  I doubt it's more than a trivial amount, though, because there just aren't that many actuaries.

I'll try to make a very basic, conservative estimate, however.  The SOA directory shows that there are 139 credentialed actuaries working at CIGNA.  Let's around it up to 400, to account for uncredentialed actuaries and actuarial analysts.  Let's also say that the average cost of employing those 400 people is $200,000 per year. 

The total comes out to $80 million a year.  I'll round it up to $150 mil just to be uber-conservative, maybe all the support services that actuaries need to work cost a fortune as well.  Looking at CIGNA's income statement at Yahoo, their total revenue totaled $19 billion.  So by a very conservative estimate actuaries cost CIGNA about 0.5-1% of their total revenue.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 09, 2009, 01:56:01 PM
I think that's generally included in the cost of higher education spending :)
If we're comparing apples to apples it should be included in health care.

(Thanks DGuller)

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 29, 1973, 01:42:44 PM
If we're comparing apples to apples it should be included in health care.
Why, is the cost of public higher education in the US counted as health spending for doctors?
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 09, 2009, 02:08:47 PM
Why, is the cost of public higher education in the US counted as health spending for doctors?
No, and neither is it anywhere else.

Newly minted MDs with zero education debt to amortize are going to affect the supply side.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 09, 2009, 02:10:56 PM
No, and neither is it anywhere else.

Newly minted MDs with zero education debt to amortize are going to affect the supply side.
Remember I'm thick and then try this again please :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Iormlund

Sheilbh, Yi is saying that the consumer pays US dcotors' education through higher salaries after they start working, so they are in the books as a healthcare cost, while in here they are counted toward higher education, distorting the figures.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Iormlund on December 09, 2009, 02:15:14 PM
Sheilbh, Yi is saying that the consumer pays US dcotors' education through higher salaries after they start working, so they are in the books as a healthcare cost, while in here they are counted toward higher education, distorting the figures.
Didn't I just say that?

:P

grumbler

Interesting question, then, Yi:  does the amount of money the US government pays medical schools NOT to fill all of their places come out of healthcare costs, or education costs?

And is this amount (and the amount that would be spent on medical education or is spent now to repay loans) even significant when compared to the $2.5+ trillion spent in the US on health care?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Fate

The average debt is $154,067 and there's roughly 20,000 medical students graduating every year. Three billion dollars? Perhaps it contributes, but I doubt it's a huge factor.

grumbler

Quote from: Fate on December 09, 2009, 05:38:55 PM
The average debt is $154,067 and there's roughly 20,000 medical students graduating every year. Three billion dollars? Perhaps it contributes, but I doubt it's a huge factor.
Danke.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: grumbler on December 09, 2009, 03:40:37 PM
Interesting question, then, Yi:  does the amount of money the US government pays medical schools NOT to fill all of their places come out of healthcare costs, or education costs?

Why would it pay schools not to fill all their places?  :huh:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 09, 2009, 02:10:56 PM
Oh.  British doctors have about $60 000 education debt, maybe more.  Though I think they get extra support from the NHS if they sign a contract to work for them for x number of years with no private practice (dentists have to work for the NHS for 2 years if they get public support) in a similar way to the military giving an engineer funding in exchange to enlisting for a number of years.
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 09, 2009, 08:20:57 PM
Why would it pay schools not to fill all their places?  :huh:
Good question.  Ask the AMA.

Bayraktar!