Which of the following fruit and nut trees should I plant?

Started by Caliga, December 08, 2009, 09:19:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of the following fruit and nut trees should I plant?

Almond
10 (18.2%)
Apple
24 (43.6%)
Apricot
2 (3.6%)
Cherry
23 (41.8%)
Fig
10 (18.2%)
Hazelnut
8 (14.5%)
Peach
24 (43.6%)
Pear
16 (29.1%)
Pecan
11 (20%)
Quince
2 (3.6%)
Walnut
10 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Caliga

Vote for your three favorite.  :)

Princesca and I have a big open area on our property between the house and the woods and we're planning on starting up a little orchard, but are as of yet undecided on what to plant (obviously we can and probably will plant multiple types of trees).  The list above includes items that should grow reliably in our climate--almond is a bit iffy but I've learned there are some cultivars now that are a bit more cold hardy.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Josquius

Would you able to see results in your lifetime?...or at least before you're an OAP. I'd guess some grow quicker than others so for me that would be a big influencing factor.

Pears are good. Apples are too common. I've never seen an apricot tree....they're nice too....
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Quote from: Tyr on December 08, 2009, 09:25:33 AM
Would you able to see results in your lifetime?...or at least before you're an OAP. I'd guess some grow quicker than others so for me that would be a big influencing factor.
It depends on the tree and how mature it is when we buy it.  I've read that a pecan tree begins producing nuts in 5-8 years depending on how mature it was when it was planted and local growing conditions.

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on December 08, 2009, 09:45:17 AM
There are already enough fruits and nuts in Kentucky.
We have plenty of nuts, true, but not a whole lot of fruits.  :(

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on December 08, 2009, 09:48:30 AM
We have plenty of nuts, true, but not a whole lot of fruits.  :(

Ok then plant a cherry tree.  If you have a son and he chops it down and then doesn't lie about it you might have a future president in your family.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

BVN

I picked the ones I have in my garden: apple, cherry and peach

Caliga

Actually, I forgot to mention I do have a cherry tree already, but I think it's a sour cherry variety you can't actually eat... the people we bought the house from planted that one.

I also have about ten callery pear trees, but that's an ornamental variety of pear that doesn't produce 'pears'.

Grey Fox

You'll never eat a cherry from your trees. Birds steals them all.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 08, 2009, 10:05:01 AM
Hm, good point.  The sour cherry tree we already have gets overrun with cardinals right when it's starting to fruit.  Oh well... though OTOH I could just get a shotgun. :)

BVN

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 08, 2009, 10:05:01 AM
I guess it depends where you live. We had massive amounts of cherries this year!

Ed Anger

Apple, peach and pecan.

Now I want some peach cobbler.  :(
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Monoriu

Just what kind of property do you have?  I mean, our house in Vancouver was huge, yet it was no where large enough to accommodate more than 1 or 2 trees. 

Ed Anger

Quote from: Monoriu on December 08, 2009, 10:19:13 AM
Just what kind of property do you have?  I mean, our house in Vancouver was huge, yet it was no where large enough to accommodate more than 1 or 2 trees.

Dude has at least an acre. In the good part of Kentucky.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive