Man tries to rob cop at police convention

Started by Syt, April 01, 2009, 01:24:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on April 01, 2009, 09:22:49 AM
Quote from: Neil on April 01, 2009, 09:19:49 AM
Since when is robbing someone 'making terroristic threats'?

It was the threat to kill the guy if he followed him that was the terroristic threat.

Seems an absurd definition creep.

By that account *any* threat is a "terroristic threat", since the whole point of a "threat" is to put someone in fear to make them do (or not do) something.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on April 01, 2009, 09:27:32 AM
Quote from: Neil on April 01, 2009, 09:25:59 AM
Seemed like just a regular threat to me.

A threat to hurt somebody if they do X is a terroristic threat in legalese I believe.
Ah well, that's lawyers for you.  Soon, the rule of law will be ended, and we can all relax.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on April 01, 2009, 09:27:32 AM
Quote from: Neil on April 01, 2009, 09:25:59 AM
Seemed like just a regular threat to me.

A threat to hurt somebody if they do X is a terroristic threat in legalese I believe.

Up here it's just a threat.  Sections 264.1 of the Criminal Code.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on April 01, 2009, 10:16:57 AM
Well, duh, who's really going to be terrorized by a threat from Canadian?

Malthus

Quote from: DGuller on April 01, 2009, 10:21:05 AM
Quote from: Barrister on April 01, 2009, 10:16:57 AM
Well, duh, who's really going to be terrorized by a threat from Canadian?

Well, baby seals for one.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josquius

Quote from: Caliga on April 01, 2009, 08:33:13 AM
Now do you see why it's good to have a widely-armed citizenry, Euros? :)
If he hadn't had a gun the policeman could have just beat the crap out of him in the toilet and stopped a bit of hastle.
██████
██████
██████

The Nickname Who Was Thursday

Quote from: Tyr on April 01, 2009, 11:31:04 AM
If he hadn't had a gun the policeman could have just beat the crap out of him in the toilet and stopped a bit of hastle.

The counterargument is "Dur, the criminals will have guns anyway!" but I'm not sure that'd be so in this guy's case.
The Erstwhile Eddie Teach

Berkut

But he would have a gun. After all, the gun he had was illegal, so apparently making them more illegal isn't going to be much of a deterrent, right?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Wait a sec...in Europe cops don't have guns?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on April 01, 2009, 12:46:47 PM

Was this question an April Fools? :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Actually I didn't think British police officers routinely carried firearms... unsure about that though, and no idea on the rest of Europe except for Italy, where not only did they seem to always be armed, but usually they appeared to carry SMGs.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Malthus

Quote from: The Nickname Who Was Thursday on April 01, 2009, 11:38:41 AM
The counterargument is "Dur, the criminals will have guns anyway!" but I'm not sure that'd be so in this guy's case.

Not sure that counterargument is generally correct - it would seem that in countries lacking a culture of widely accepted handguns, handguns are simply less common, even among crooks. They still exist of course - what seems to matter is *culture*. Even in places where hand-guns are strictly illegal, where a particular community has accepted their use they can be common - but often much less so than among the general population.

The startling example is here in Toronto, where the community of ex-pat Jamacans have a "gun culture" and accound for a bizzarely disproportionate number of shooting crimes - very often of the "guy gets dissed in a dance club and blasts away with his gun, shooting three innocent bystanders" variety.

What appears to be the case is that the law is only significant in that it reflects and shapes the culture, and what is important is the culture - that of dumb machismo combined with ready handgun ownership among young men in particular - which is important.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Quote from: Berkut on April 01, 2009, 12:45:05 PM

But he would have a gun. After all, the gun he had was illegal, so apparently making them more illegal isn't going to be much of a deterrent, right?

Where guns are legal its a lot easier to get hold of one illegally than where they are always illegal.

QuoteWait a sec...in Europe cops don't have guns?
In the UK they don't. In most other places they do.
██████
██████
██████

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on April 01, 2009, 12:46:47 PM

They do, but they're not allowed to use them.