U.S. Environmental Protection Agency declares CO2 endanger human health

Started by Syt, December 08, 2009, 08:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Quote from: Tamas on December 08, 2009, 08:13:41 AM
Sure, hold back our economies while China and India just piss on the whole issue and outgrow us :ultra:

What is funny is that they will encourage the transfer of even the remaining industries in the developed world, which will not only raise the CO2 output of the industries of the third world, but also make regular Chinese/Indians richer. And when they will afford to live like Europeans, we WILL have CO2 problems.
This assumes that the current correlation between standard of living and CO2 production will maintain.  I very seriously doubt that, and so does China, judging by its massive investments in alternative energy.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Faeelin

Quote from: Queequeg on December 08, 2009, 03:30:06 PM
Quote from: Tamas on December 08, 2009, 08:13:41 AM
Sure, hold back our economies while China and India just piss on the whole issue and outgrow us :ultra:

What is funny is that they will encourage the transfer of even the remaining industries in the developed world, which will not only raise the CO2 output of the industries of the third world, but also make regular Chinese/Indians richer. And when they will afford to live like Europeans, we WILL have CO2 problems.
This assumes that the current correlation between standard of living and CO2 production will maintain.  I very seriously doubt that, and so does China, judging by its massive investments in alternative energy.

Do you ahve a link handy about that, BTW?

Valmy

Quote from: Faeelin on December 08, 2009, 03:37:31 PM
Do you ahve a link handy about that, BTW?

Well China has become one of the top Solar Panel producers in just a few years.  They seem very big into energy technologies...but that makes sense I suppose as they will eventually have ridiculous energy requirements as they continue to modernize.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Larch

I found this in one of the articles I was looking for, I don't know if it's exactly the same thing.

The original article is here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8380106.stm

QuoteChina unveils emissions targets ahead of Copenhagen

China has unveiled its first firm target for limiting greenhouse gas emissions, two weeks before a global summit on climate change in Copenhagen.

Beijing said it would aim to reduce its "carbon intensity" by 40-45% by the year 2020, compared with 2005 levels.

Carbon intensity, China's preferred measurement, is the amount of carbon dioxide emitted for each unit of GDP.

alfred russel

A 10% growth rate coupled with a 40% cut in "intensity" means carbon emissions will grow by more than 70% over 11 years.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Larch

And in this other article (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8345343.stm) there's a table summarizing where every country or group of countries stand towards CO2 cuts for Copenhagen.

China and India offer cuts of 40-45 and 20-25% respectively in CO2 emissions per GDP unit, with 2005 as baseline, and want 40% net cuts emissions for the developed world for 2020 with 1990 as baseline. Other issues to be discussed include wether the cuts would be legally binding or not, and wether rich countries should pay a 1% of their GDP to help poorer countries to reach this target.

The Larch

Quote from: alfred russel on December 08, 2009, 03:46:25 PM
A 10% growth rate coupled with a 40% cut in "intensity" means carbon emissions will grow by more than 70% over 11 years.

Chinese and Indian CO2 emissions are going to rise no matter what, at least they seem to want to be more efficient about that.

alfred russel

Its much more massive investments in traditional energy sources indicates it will have more CO2 production in the future.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on December 08, 2009, 03:39:38 PM
Well China has become one of the top Solar Panel producers in just a few years.  They seem very big into energy technologies...but that makes sense I suppose as they will eventually have ridiculous energy requirements as they continue to modernize.
They may be big into energy technology (I'd like some documentation too) but the fact that they make solar panels doesn't tell us anything.  They'll manufacture anything that people will buy.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 08, 2009, 03:59:06 PM
They may be big into energy technology (I'd like some documentation too) but the fact that they make solar panels doesn't tell us anything.  They'll manufacture anything that people will buy.

Here is Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renewable_energy_in_China
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: JacobL on December 08, 2009, 02:23:08 PM
They said they would have per-capita limits iirc which means they can pollute more so long as their economy grows faster then the rate of pollution.

:huh:

Per capita means the limits are based on population.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

JacobL

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 08, 2009, 05:20:12 PM
Quote from: JacobL on December 08, 2009, 02:23:08 PM
They said they would have per-capita limits iirc which means they can pollute more so long as their economy grows faster then the rate of pollution.

:huh:

Per capita means the limits are based on population.
I didn't remember exactly how it was worded but it has been explained more in depth now :bash:

Neil

I can't imagine why it would change any time soon.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.