Supreme Court takes case of student group that bars gay members

Started by jimmy olsen, December 07, 2009, 07:27:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

The three things official school recognition got you at my school were a little bit of money, the right to put up flyers around school, and the use of classrooms for meetings.

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 07, 2009, 09:07:59 PM
The three things official school recognition got you at my school were a little bit of money, the right to put up flyers around school, and the use of classrooms for meetings.

Yeah, that's pretty much the norm, though I'd certainly not assume that it's universally the case.

DontSayBanana

Hey Tim, you saw this, right?

QuoteUnder the Hastings nondiscrimination policy, student organizations must allow fellow students to join and potentially seek leadership positions in any organization without regard to their status or beliefs.

The group was on shaky ground even before they barred gay students.

Experience bij!

jimmy olsen

Not all student groups got a budget at the schools I went to, especially small groups like that. They were just allowed to use school facilities to meet.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: DontSayBanana on December 07, 2009, 09:27:30 PM
Hey Tim, you saw this, right?

QuoteUnder the Hastings nondiscrimination policy, student organizations must allow fellow students to join and potentially seek leadership positions in any organization without regard to their status or beliefs.

The group was on shaky ground even before they barred gay students.
I saw it, I think it's retarded. How can you have any groups with a religious or political mission if they can't discriminate due to beliefs? This cuts both ways. The campus gay rights groups should be able to ban students who go to evangelical churches that preach against homosexuality, the campus democrats should be able to ban all members who don't belong to the Democratic party, etc.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 07, 2009, 07:52:14 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on December 07, 2009, 07:36:57 PM
Damn, those 7th Circuit judges are retarded. I'd love to see if they would have used the same argument if it were a group of Muslims that banned women from voting and leadership.
While I certainly wouldn't approve of such a group, I would hope that the court would rule in their favor.  They have the right to advocate their views as they see fit.

Huh?  Obviously nobody is questioning their right to advocate their views as they see fit.  I don't get the connection.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DontSayBanana

Quote from: katmai on December 07, 2009, 08:56:34 PM
Hastings is a UC school, so yes they take state and federal funds.

No idea about the group accepting school money.

Doesn't matter if they accept school money.  Once they get that "approved by student activities/life/whatever" stamp on the poster, they're endorsed by the school.  That's an establishment issue if they're only promoting Christian officers.

Circuit courts are at odds probably more than you realize.  Decisions and opinions from a higher court that has jurisdiction over a lower court have the force of law; decisions and opinions from a sister court at the same appellate level are treated as amici curiae.

Regarding public funding, until someone comes along and proves "they're taking public funding from the college" I'm gonna call bullshit on that one.  At all the schools I've been to, extracurricular "club-type" groups were entirely in charge of raising their own funds.
Experience bij!

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 07, 2009, 07:27:11 PM
No group should be forced to accept members that engage in behavior or has beliefs that group advocates against.

...except they sorta have to as an officially recognized student organization.  They can simply become an unofficial group and they no longer have to abide by the rules.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Valmy on December 07, 2009, 09:36:20 PM
...except they sorta have to as an officially recognized student organization.  They can simply become an unofficial group and they no longer have to abide by the rules.

:yes:

Funny; I never would have figured Timmay to be one of those rabid "religion trumps public interest" guys.
Experience bij!

jimmy olsen

If you've read my latest post, I'm record as saying that leftist groups can discriminate against religious members, how is that position that "religion trumps public interest"?

1 Karma Chameleon point

DisturbedPervert

They should just do away with all official student groups.  I always resented that I was forced to pay money every semester that went to them.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 07, 2009, 09:40:07 PM
If you've read my latest post, I'm record as saying that leftist groups can discriminate against religious members, how is that position that "religion trumps public interest"?

That's ridiculous.  No protected class has carte blanche authority to discriminate against another one; the law is more concerned with equality and is more likely to rule against the foaming-at-the-mouth evangelical who wants to make hell for homosexuals start a little earlier than death than against the outspoken gay fiancee who wonders why the first amendment's anti-establishment clause doesn't seem to apply to his or her marital status that's used as a qualifier for a great many federal programs.
Experience bij!

Admiral Yi

Whoa, that is one long fucking sentence.

Student groups at GU could borrow the school's shuttle busses too.  I know this because my buddy was president of the campus Japanese club and I schlepped all the fucking way up to College Park Maryland to attend some Asian festivus, only to discover on arrival that the Maryland campus was dry.

Admiral Yi

But on the upside I got to see Len Bias before he kicked the bucket.  He was lounging on the student union steps with his posse, looking surly.

katmai

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 07, 2009, 10:05:21 PM
But on the upside I got to see Len Bias before he kicked the bucket.  He was lounging on the student union steps with his posse, looking surly.

Are you the one who supplied him with his blow?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son