News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

I feel so European!

Started by Ed Anger, December 07, 2009, 10:16:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iormlund

I still have days from last year. I want the Euro experience, too.

Admiral Yi

Question for the Yuros: how does your place of work treat snow days?

Iormlund

This being Spain, there hasn't been one since I got my current job. :P

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Iormlund on December 07, 2009, 03:46:01 PM
This being Spain, there hasn't been one since I got my current job. :P
:pinch: Yeah, shoulda waited for a Kraut or a Scandilonian.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Iormlund

It is actually time for one of those snow days. We tend to get them every 3 years or so, and that's the time I've been here.

On the topic mentioned by Syt, unless the project is really big we also tend to work on our own. During holidays projects are put on hold. Which in practice means you can't go on holidays ever (explaining how I still have days from 2008).
The only exceptions to the one project - one man rule are certain specific tasks in every project done either by me (3D design for GUIs, excel macros, OPC interfacing), by our senior IT guy, or both (SCADA, high-level coding). Which has led to catastrophic results now that said IT guy doesn't feel like working at all anymore, delaying pretty much all projects. I'm trying to get into that void, but the man is not an idiot and won't release his source code. :lol:

Zanza

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 07, 2009, 03:44:41 PM
In capitalist Germany, it's your problem if you don't or can't show up for work because of snow. Your employer either does not need to pay you or you need to work longer or at some other time.

HVC

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 07, 2009, 11:38:01 AM
GF, end of the year almost always sucks for accountants. My wife hated the schedules. And Sarbannes-Oxley.

They suck ass. worse when you combine a oct 30 inventory in a manufacturing business. plus, two peopel quiting.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

katmai

Quote from: HVC on December 07, 2009, 05:15:11 PM
GF, end of the year almost always sucks for accountants. My wife hated the schedules. And Sarbannes-Oxley.

They suck ass. worse when you combine a oct 30 inventory in a manufacturing business. plus, two peopel quiting.

:nelson
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

HVC

Quote from: katmai on December 07, 2009, 05:24:04 PM
Quote from: HVC on December 07, 2009, 05:15:11 PM

:nelson
:lol: The urge to punch my slacker friends in the throat when they bitch grows everyday.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 07, 2009, 03:44:41 PM

I'm no Euro, but up here people are generally expected to get their asses into work.

Bizarrely though YTG (Yukon Territorial Government) has a policy where they won't send people out of town at temps below -35C or so, whereas us (the Feds) will travel in any weather.  :(
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ed Anger

On snow, we generally call it off at about 6-7 inches. Any meaningful ice involved and we call it off too.

However, I generally don't ream out somebody if they can't make it in, as some towns just fucking suck at road clearance. If they call telling us they can't make it that is.

No call, I got to yell.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Barrister

We had freezing rain this morning on the drive in to work.

Not. Fun.   :mad:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

katmai

Quote from: Barrister on December 07, 2009, 06:38:26 PM
We had freezing rain this morning on the drive in to work.

Not. Fun.   :mad:

Sunny and -8c here :)
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Admiral Yi

We'm scheduled for a two day blizzard here in the Cornucopia.