And we're back!

Main Menu

Ramen Noodles - for Berkut and DGuller

Started by alfred russel, December 07, 2009, 09:53:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on December 07, 2009, 10:18:07 AM
Quote from: Berkut on December 07, 2009, 10:12:58 AM
Ahh, so you are talking about those dinky little tiny cups.

Yeah, even a Big mac doesn't have a lot of calories if you only eat a cup of it.

It was the standard size--the only size I saw.

The next time you see a ramen noodle display, look for the one you used to eat and report the calories. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong thing.
I think the standard package one thinks of as Ramen noodles is a 3 oz brick that you throw into boiling water.  I doubt that it's going to have a much higher caloric content, however.

grumbler

Ah, I see that someone has posted the link.  I was wrong; a pack of ramen noodles has 26 grams of fat, not 7!  :lol:

And it is 88% of the daily sodium intake.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

Quote from: grumbler on December 07, 2009, 10:23:09 AM
A regular package of Ramen noodles has 600 calories (2 servings).  Those calories are from fat (something like 7 grams of it).  IIRC, you get a full day's worth of salt, as well.

If you get a package half that size, then you have half the calories, but then you have the calories of the food you eat to supplement the Ramen noodles.  Probably a lot less fatty, though.

As Berkut noted, these are empty calories.  Their sole virtue is that they are cheap.  I cannot understand why an adult with a job would consume ramen noodles, when you can get healthy food that tastes even better for only a modest increase in cost.  Students... yeah, I've been there and done that and understand why others would as well.

The packages I was looking at were 1 serving and 290 calories. So I guess there are bigger packages that are 2 servings and twice the calories. Still, on the calorie front that doesn't seem so bad.

These weren't bricks, they were cups. I guess the brick is more standard?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Eddie Teach

Quote from: grumbler on December 07, 2009, 10:26:13 AM
Ah, I see that someone has posted the link.  I was wrong; a pack of ramen noodles has 26 grams of fat, not 7!  :lol:

And it is 88% of the daily sodium intake.

7 grams of fat is only 63 calories.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: alfred russel on December 07, 2009, 10:28:06 AM
The packages I was looking at were 1 serving and 290 calories. So I guess there are bigger packages that are 2 servings and twice the calories. Still, on the calorie front that doesn't seem so bad.

The cup is a bourgeois luxury.  The brick is the gold standard of ramen delivery.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Caliga

Quote from: Brazen on December 07, 2009, 10:19:43 AM
All the ramen noodles in UK supermarkets are now low sodium and severely lacking in umami since they took out the MSG :(
That sucks.  Well, fortunately I keep a supply of MSG in my spice cabinet so I can always combat such hippie initiatives.  :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Caliga on December 07, 2009, 10:44:55 AM
Quote from: Brazen on December 07, 2009, 10:19:43 AM
All the ramen noodles in UK supermarkets are now low sodium and severely lacking in umami since they took out the MSG :(
That sucks.  Well, fortunately I keep a supply of MSG in my spice cabinet so I can always combat such hippie initiatives.  :cool:

No way Obama's seasoning panels are getting their hands on my MSG!
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

LaCroix

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on December 07, 2009, 10:40:40 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on December 07, 2009, 10:28:06 AM

The cup is a bourgeois luxury.
:lol:

it's funny because it's true. god knows i wish i had the cups when i was younger

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: grumbler on December 07, 2009, 10:23:09 AMI cannot understand why an adult with a job would consume ramen noodles

Because instant noodles are delicious and easy to make.

There are some really good tasting ones out there.  They have noodles that come with vacuum packed foil pouches that have actual meat, veggies, and sauce now.  Earlier I had instant noodles with spicy red sauce, clams, and mushrooms.  I also have noodles with pouches containing chicken and potato curry, beef in chili sauce, pork and mustard greens, and duck.  Even noodles that don't come with pouches are great if stir fried with some veggies and chicken/prawns.

sbr

I love Ramen occasionally; but I add stuff to it.  A couple of hard boiled eggs cut into halves, a cut up chicken breast, some green onions, a splash of vinegar and soy sauce.  Assuming the chicken is pre-cooked, I always cook a couple more than I will need when making a meal, it is a very fast and tasty meal.  The sodium is high but I normally eat a pretty low sodium diet so I am not that worried about a weekly binge.

Berkut

Quote from: sbr on December 07, 2009, 12:53:33 PM
I love Ramen occasionally; but I add stuff to it.  A couple of hard boiled eggs cut into halves, a cut up chicken breast, some green onions, a splash of vinegar and soy sauce.  Assuming the chicken is pre-cooked, I always cook a couple more than I will need when making a meal, it is a very fast and tasty meal.  The sodium is high but I normally eat a pretty low sodium diet so I am not that worried about a weekly binge.

The Udon "Ramed" stuff is awesome - comes in a sealed packet, so the noodles are soft, not har dlike regular Ramen.

Take a egg, scramble it in a bowl, pour it in after the water is boiling. Add some veggies, maybe some leftover meat if you ahve some, and a healthy dose of Daves Fire Sauce.

Eat with a piece of crusty bread.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DontSayBanana

The Udon stuff is great; the cup ramen, not so much.  I've always been a staunch fan of packet ramen (I use my own prep method to make it sauce instead of soup).
Experience bij!

Vise

Raman tends to be my breakfast, lunch and dinner...of course I've been laid off for 5 months now.  I tend to spice it up by adding spaghetti sauce and occasionally BBQ sauce.  Adding any meats or whatnot to it tends to make the price go up so If I was going to do that, might as well buy something that tastes better.  Or if I need a texture change, I just break the brick up into small pieces and have a bland crunchy snack.
Honey badger don't give a shit!

Barrister

Quote from: DontSayBanana on December 07, 2009, 01:05:25 PM
The Udon stuff is great; the cup ramen, not so much.  I've always been a staunch fan of packet ramen (I use my own prep method to make it sauce instead of soup).

You mean the secret recipe of adding less water?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.