News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

My Imac may be dead :(

Started by BuddhaRhubarb, December 07, 2009, 12:56:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

I imagine removing a harddrive from an iMac would be difficult though.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

Quote from: Barrister on December 07, 2009, 12:17:20 PM
:huh: Not familiar with the innards of an iMac but I mean there has to be a way to get one out... why do you think it would be tough?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grey Fox

Such defeatist attidude from our mac loving brothers.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on December 07, 2009, 12:20:04 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 07, 2009, 12:17:20 PM
:huh: Not familiar with the innards of an iMac but I mean there has to be a way to get one out... why do you think it would be tough?

Because it's an "all in one" computer that wasn't designed for easy access to it's innards (unlike my Mac Pro, which has easily swappable hard drives).

But a quick google shows it isn't all that bad:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/imacG5_20inch_harddrive.pdf

Barrister

Of course this doesn't make it sound too easy (but is a different model):

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-10210484-17.html

RHubard, you able to tell us exactly what kind of iMac you have?

grumbler

I've replaced drives on iMacs before, and it just takes time.  It isn't difficult, per se.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

BuddhaRhubarb

fuck that, if I can't do it myself (which is unlikely) then it's not worth some scam "data recovery" bullshit.
:p

BuddhaRhubarb

I looked up stuff myself, my imac is an old early g5 ppc. (were it able to turn on i could get the exact specs.) but i googled and it definitely seems like either a mobo, or power suply ish. more likely mobo.

so hdd should be ok, hopefully. I'll find out online how to get it apart, and put the hdd into a empty shell, reasonably cheap to buy a casing for an old internal drive. and rescue my data. it's really just the novel, and some photos that I'm worried about, prob. less than a dvd's worth of data.

Barrister

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on December 07, 2009, 01:40:53 PM
I looked up stuff myself, my imac is an old early g5 ppc. (were it able to turn on i could get the exact specs.) but i googled and it definitely seems like either a mobo, or power suply ish. more likely mobo.

so hdd should be ok, hopefully. I'll find out online how to get it apart, and put the hdd into a empty shell, reasonably cheap to buy a casing for an old internal drive. and rescue my data. it's really just the novel, and some photos that I'm worried about, prob. less than a dvd's worth of data.

Then take a look at the link I supplied above which describes how to take the HDD out of a G5 iMac. :smarty:

BuddhaRhubarb

that's the same link i got googling last night, but thanks for perma linking me here.

BuddhaRhubarb

have an appointment at the so-called "Genius Bar" at the downtown apple store on Wed. Morning. My boss is coming with me (he has a car & is good at offering moral support.) Free tech look at to see if it's fixable/whether it's too expensive, etc.

google has shown me today that likely what happened is a relatively (or was a few years ago) common issue with this gen of imacs. capacitor issues on the logic boards. apparently so many imacs went down a few years ago, apple was fixing them free whether you had applecare or not,

of course google also told me that that policy stopped end of 08. I do however have anecdotal testimony from a friend that hers was fixed after that time for free.

we'll see. if they want hundreds of dollars I'll simply ask to get some links to how to take the back off and get the hdd out myself to get the data off.

I do have backup of some of it, and most of my storage is on ext hdds. from now on, all of it will be external, nothing but apps on the system hdd.

Jaron

moral support? :huh:

God damn you act like your cat is dying.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

ulmont

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on December 07, 2009, 11:56:53 PM
from now on, all of it will be external, nothing but apps on the system hdd.

Wouldn't the key just be in redundancy (system, backup, google docs or one of the online backup places) rather than some magic of the system hdd?

Lucidor

Quote from: ulmont on December 08, 2009, 12:12:30 AM
Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on December 07, 2009, 11:56:53 PM
from now on, all of it will be external, nothing but apps on the system hdd.

Wouldn't the key just be in redundancy (system, backup, google docs or one of the online backup places) rather than some magic of the system hdd?
Yeah, backup is the key. If I had been using the computer for anything important I'd personally do it more than once a year... :D

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Jaron on December 08, 2009, 12:08:28 AM
moral support? :huh:

God damn you act like your cat is dying.

you are confusing me with CDM