News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Learning through the web

Started by Oexmelin, April 03, 2009, 04:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oexmelin

As more and more podcasts and conferences are appearing on the web, it is becoming - as everything else - harder and harder to keep track of the best ones. We have a similar thread on the French village des fous and I was wondering about the English speaking posters...

What are the best informative conferences or radio show episodes that you find on the web ? Things you have found illuminating or really informative ?

I will start with one for the francophiles: Roger Chartier's 2007 seminar at the Collège de France is now available: http://www.college-de-france.fr/default/EN/all/pub_pod/index.htm
Que le grand cric me croque !

Queequeg

There is a wonderful and often witty History of Rome podcasts that is now at about 50 15 minute episodes, dealing now with the Second Triumvirate. Very good stuff.

The UofC's Center for International Studies has a truly excellent podcast called The World Beyond the Headlines, I've been trying to learn more about the Pakistan crisis and they have more than half a dozen hour-long, excellent podcasts on this very issue.

The Economist, as one would expect, has a generally very good, if slightly shallow for my taste where international relations are concerned, podcasts.  They produced probably the only podcast about Macedonia going apeshit that wasn't be someone in the Balkans.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

The Nickname Who Was Thursday

The Erstwhile Eddie Teach

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.