News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The end of an mini-era, bye encarta!

Started by garbon, March 31, 2009, 02:09:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 01, 2009, 09:57:57 AM
Where do students go these days for information that is reliable?  I doubt that anyone hits the stacks anymore like we did in the pre-online world but maybe I am wrong.

See, the flaw in your question is that students want information that is reliable rather than easy to get.

Good students still go to the library, get access to books and online journals there, and read stuff to gain a balanced viewpoint to support their papers.  I presently have 3 of these students out of the 40-odd in my Civ II class...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Warspite

QuoteI presently have 3 of these students out of the 40-odd in my Civ II class...

:shifty:
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Malthus

Quote from: PDH on April 01, 2009, 10:02:27 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 01, 2009, 09:57:57 AM
Where do students go these days for information that is reliable?  I doubt that anyone hits the stacks anymore like we did in the pre-online world but maybe I am wrong.

See, the flaw in your question is that students want information that is reliable rather than easy to get.

Good students still go to the library, get access to books and online journals there, and read stuff to gain a balanced viewpoint to support their papers.  I presently have 3 of these students out of the 40-odd in my Civ II class...

They teach classes in that?

I would think that at least they would have Civ IV by now.  ;)

That 'phalanx killed my battleship' thing in Civ II was pretty annoying.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

PDH

Quote from: Malthus on April 01, 2009, 10:08:53 AM
They teach classes in that?

I would think that at least they would have Civ IV by now.  ;)

I once made a joke about that...then I remembered to never tell jokes in class.  I am sure some students took notes on proper placement of cities...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

DGuller

Damn, I take one minute to reply, and already get beaten to the punch on the Civ II joke by two posters.

DGuller

Quote from: Malthus on April 01, 2009, 10:08:53 AM
I once lost a carrier full of jet fighters (that for some reason were called stealth fighters) by trying to attack an engineer with it for some reason.

Savonarola

Quote from: PDH on April 01, 2009, 10:10:35 AM
I once made a joke about that...then I remembered to never tell jokes in class.  I am sure some students took notes on proper placement of cities...

It was probably before their time.  I went to school in the 90's.  My college roommate was a mechanical engineering student.  In one of his machinery class the professor was discussing a device called a resolver; "Which," he joked, "Was named after a Beatles album."  The entire class went  :huh: as the prof chorlted at his own joke.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: DGuller on April 01, 2009, 10:13:58 AM
I once lost a carrier full of jet fighters (that for some reason were called stealth fighters) by trying to attack an engineer with it for some reason.

We're more ferocious than you'd think. 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Malthus

Quote from: Savonarola on April 01, 2009, 10:46:59 AM
Quote from: DGuller on April 01, 2009, 10:13:58 AM

We're more ferocious than you'd think.

Now we know what the slide-rule holsters are for.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Savonarola on April 01, 2009, 10:31:03 AM
It was probably before their time.  I went to school in the 90's.  My college roommate was a mechanical engineering student.  In one of his machinery class the professor was discussing a device called a resolver; "Which," he joked, "Was named after a Beatles album."  The entire class went  :huh: as the prof chorlted at his own joke.

Yeah but CIV is still a popular game in its present iteration.  It would be like making a Final Fantasy gag even though the last version you played was on the Nintendo classic back in 1992.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Savonarola

Quote from: Malthus on April 01, 2009, 10:50:13 AM

Now we know what the slide-rule holsters are for.

As an engineer, you never know when you'll be attacke by an Aztec Aircraft Carrier; it's a professional risk.

Savonarola

Quote from: Valmy on April 01, 2009, 10:52:50 AM
Yeah but CIV is still a popular game in its present iteration.  It would be like making a Final Fantasy gag even though the last version you played was on the Nintendo classic back in 1992.

Does the sinking battleship with a phalanx feature still exist?  I lost interest in the genre about halfway through my first CIV III game.

Malthus

Quote from: Savonarola on April 01, 2009, 11:03:11 AM
Quote from: Valmy on April 01, 2009, 10:52:50 AM

Does the sinking battleship with a phalanx feature still exist?  I lost interest in the genre about halfway through my first CIV III game.

Civ IV is a much superior product compared to Civ III. It is no longer possible to sink a battleship with a phalanx.

The Nickname Who Was Thursday

I believe it's theoretically possible to sink a battleship with a trireme though. Assuming they have a unit called a "battleship" (I rarely play past gunpowder).
The Erstwhile Eddie Teach

Malthus

Quote from: The Nickname Who Was Thursday on April 01, 2009, 11:12:32 AM
I believe it's theoretically possible to sink a battleship with a trireme though. Assuming they have a unit called a "battleship" (I rarely play past gunpowder).

They do. I suppose it is theoretically possible.