Main Menu

Inflation

Started by Josquius, December 01, 2009, 07:37:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Hands off my pennies.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

HisMajestyBOB

I hoard all my coins. One day I will paint them all gold and silver, then fill swimming pool with them and roll around in it naked.

Then put the coins back into circulation.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

DontSayBanana

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on December 01, 2009, 06:03:04 PM
I hoard all my coins. One day I will paint them all gold and silver, then fill swimming pool with them and roll around in it naked.

Shame on you.  We've already got Ed to fill the role of Scrooge McDuck.
Experience bij!

Ed Anger

Quote from: DontSayBanana on December 01, 2009, 06:41:15 PM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on December 01, 2009, 06:03:04 PM

Shame on you.  We've already got Ed to fill the role of Scrooge McDuck.

Damn right.

Richard Hakluyt

Ed would pee in the pool as well though  :huh:

Josquius

Quote from: dps on December 01, 2009, 05:07:33 PM
I'm not sure that the whole line of thinking isn't flawed.  Long-term, persistant inflation seems to only have been prevalent in the last 40 years or so.  Before that, prices tended to fluctuate up and down.  In fact, before then, in most economic downturns, dramatic deflation usually occurred.
But the general pattern was inflation.
£100 in 16th century money is a small fortune today.
In 1900 a very nice house would cost you $1000
██████
██████
██████

Hansmeister

Quote from: Tyr on December 02, 2009, 07:46:28 AM
Quote from: dps on December 01, 2009, 05:07:33 PM
I'm not sure that the whole line of thinking isn't flawed.  Long-term, persistant inflation seems to only have been prevalent in the last 40 years or so.  Before that, prices tended to fluctuate up and down.  In fact, before then, in most economic downturns, dramatic deflation usually occurred.
But the general pattern was inflation.
£100 in 16th century money is a small fortune today.
In 1900 a very nice house would cost you $1000
Deflation was prevalent during the 19th century as industrial growth outpaced gold production.  This of course ended with the arrival of proxy money in the 20th century.  I theorized that Karl Marx's theory on the eventual collapse of capitalism was based largely on a misreading of the deflation of the 19th century.

Ed Anger

The Minsky Moment

The 19th century was a long period; there definitely were instances of inflation.  In the second half of the 19th century, in the industrial economies, prices stayed relatively steady over long periods, but there was a lot of short term price instability - periods of inflation followed by periods of deflation etc. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson