10 (52.6%)
Q'apla!
2 (10.5%)
Submit to Jaron, Resistance is Futile
3 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Sheilbh

Quote from: Fate on December 02, 2009, 11:07:51 AM
Thankfully the batshit warmongers like Berkut are in the distinct minority. Neither party will stomach a war in Afghanistan until 2019.
The goal is that there won't be a war in even 2011.  Let's not forget that Afghanistan, as a war, barely rated for the first 3 years.  If we go back to you know 10 combat deaths a year I think we could stay in Afghanistan till 2109.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ed Anger

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 02, 2009, 11:09:38 AM
Thankfully the batshit warmongers like Berkut are in the distinct minority. Neither party will stomach a war in Afghanistan until 2019.
Who is the intended audience for a post like this?

1- Fate.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Berkut

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 02, 2009, 11:10:39 AM
The goal is that there won't be a war in even 2011.  Let's not forget that Afghanistan, as a war, barely rated for the first 3 years.  If we go back to you know 10 combat deaths a year I think we could stay in Afghanistan till 2109.

Of course that is the goal, but the odds of achieving that goal are rather considerably lower if we tell the people we are fighting that we will be leaving if they can just hold out for a year or two.

You never tell the other guy what it will take to beat you. That is simply stupid, even if it is true that you lack the will to fight longer than another year or two, and even if your allies in NATO are unwilling to support you. There is no upside to it.

Yeah, Karzais government is corrupt - do you really think calling him out on national TV is going to change that? Is they key a threat to leave in 18 months whether he shapes up or not? That would tell me (if I were a corrupt official) that I have 18 months to get as much as a I can out of the deal, and get my ass out of town, or make my arrangement with the new corrupt government that will be taking over, or even that my gravy train has a finite length.

It isn't going to make me go "Golly, they are leaving in 18 months, I better stop being so damn corrupt!!!" It is utterly empty pressure.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Fate

Quote from: Berkut on December 02, 2009, 11:31:10 AM
You never tell the other guy what it will take to beat you.

Did they teach you that gem at armchair school?