News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

thoughts on a PC upgrade

Started by Caliga, December 01, 2009, 12:48:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Then if anyone wants to add me, PM me with your address :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

katmai

Quote from: DontSayBanana on December 02, 2009, 05:05:55 PM
Quote from: derspiess on December 02, 2009, 12:36:15 PM
Who else is in there?  I only have Brazen & Cal in my Latitude.

Besides them, me.  Brazen's got my gmail address and Cal should have it sitting in his inbox now. :)
I think you sent me yours as well.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Caliga

Quote from: Barrister on December 02, 2009, 03:04:54 PM
I disagree.  :)
So you think going from 4 Gb to 8 Gb will make a huge difference?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

Hm, that will cost right around $200, it looks like, for 4 2 Gb DIMMS.

grumbler

You don't want to invest in memory, as it will have marginal utility with the CPU and, with that board, will be obsolescent stuff you cannot take with you when you upgrade.

I'd go for a great monitor (prices are getting pretty sweet on them right now) or the OS upgrade.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Caliga

Yeah, I was just looking at monitor prices this morning because Princesca's is starting to fail, and was surprised at how low they've gotten.  I already have a decent 22" 2ms LCD though and am satisfied with it, so probably not gonna go that route in the near future.

Barrister

Face it Cal, the situation is pretty much the same as it was the last time you asked for advice on a computer - you have a decent rig with no real obvious need for an upgrade.  It's not like the old days where you almost ahd to buy a new system every 2-3 years.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on December 03, 2009, 06:49:42 AM
Quote from: Barrister on December 02, 2009, 03:04:54 PM
I disagree.  :)
So you think going from 4 Gb to 8 Gb will make a huge difference?

I dunno - all I know is that I noticed a difference going from 2 GB to 10 GB.  :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

Quote from: Barrister on December 03, 2009, 11:51:34 AM
Face it Cal, the situation is pretty much the same as it was the last time you asked for advice on a computer - you have a decent rig with no real obvious need for an upgrade.  It's not like the old days where you almost ahd to buy a new system every 2-3 years.
The issue isn't need, it's want.  I budget fun money for myself and have nothing else I want.  The amount I may spend could increase in the near future though, as a friend of ours is willing to sell us her Glock 19 and I assume it'll be way cheaper than what we were planning on spending on it.

viper37

Quote from: Caliga on December 01, 2009, 01:31:37 PM
You don't think the CPU is too much of a bottleneck?  If you trust that Windows Experience Index thingy, it's the lowest rated system component I have (5.0).
Don't worry too much about that.
First of all, the scale tops at 5.9.

Second, it's not that useful for games.

Third, a new graphic card will provide better images, better resolution, and better speed in game.
No matter wich CPU you use.

For some modern games, you may not be able to play the highest resolutions because of your CPU, but you'll still play faster than before, and at better resolution.

And having more than 4gb of RAM is nice, as it speeds up Windows boot&shutdown, if you have a 64bit Windows, but since most games are not 64bit, you can't really use the RAM.
Empire Total War was modified to allow the use of more than 4gb of RAM, but aside that, there's not much improvement to be made.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Caliga on December 03, 2009, 11:54:05 AM
as a friend of ours is willing to sell us her Glock 19 and I assume it'll be way cheaper than what we were planning on spending on it.
You could forget about the Glock and invest more in the computer :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Caliga

Nein.  With a computer, I can only shoot virtual people.  :(

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Caliga on December 03, 2009, 12:13:21 PM
Nein.  With a computer, I can only shoot virtual people.  :(

With a Glock, you won't actually hit anyone. :P

Don't mind me.  I am to H&K what Beeb is to Mac. ;)
Experience bij!

Caliga

Sorry, not spending $800 on a handgun. -_-