Boston brewer pushes new limits on extreme beer

Started by merithyn, December 01, 2009, 07:14:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

I could get a bottle of JOhnny Walker Blue for that.  Screw that noise yo.

Barleywine was nice.
PDH!

derspiess

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on December 01, 2009, 07:46:30 PM
Chuck Hurley, CEO of Mothers Against Drunk Driving, said the group in general doesn't have a problem with extreme brands of beer like Utopias. However, he hopes the beverage's higher alcohol content is properly labeled and that it isn't marketed to minors.

I'm sure it will be a tough decision for under 21s, $150 bottles of beer or a handle of Popov and a keg of Natty Light.

No shit.  But it's not like MADD has any understanding of anyone's drinking habits.

When I was under 21, we always bought the more expensive stuff-- seemed to take some of the suspicion away.  Well, that and my older brother's ID I carried around with me :ph34r:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on December 01, 2009, 07:24:03 PM
What's the point?  It sure is not a beer anymore, no matter how it's called.  Beers are not meant to have high ABV.

Some are.  Strong Ales & Barleywines, for example. 

As long as it's brewed from grain & is not distilled, it's beer.  Technically, sake is beer.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Josquius

Blimey, $150 beer...

It sucks how there isn't more stuff over 8%.
██████
██████
██████

derspiess

Quote from: Tyr on December 01, 2009, 09:26:45 PM
Blimey, $150 beer...

It sucks how there isn't more stuff over 8%.

I'd say they have about 35-40 to choose from over 8% at my favorite local store :)

Faeelin

Capetan Mihali

Extreme beer, like extreme sports, is best left alone.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

The Larch

27%? Pfft. Obviously you haven't heard of Tactical Nuclear Penguin:

Quote'World's strongest' beer with 32% strength launched

A controversial Scottish brewery has launched what it described as the world's strongest beer - with a 32% alcohol content.

Tactical Nuclear Penguin has been unveiled by BrewDog of Fraserburgh.

BrewDog was previously branded irresponsible for an 18.2% beer called Tokyo, which it then followed with a low alcohol beer called Nanny State.

Managing director James Watt said a limited supply of Tactical Nuclear Penguin would be sold for £30 each.

He said: "This beer is about pushing the boundaries, it is about taking innovation in beer to a whole new level."

Mr Watt added that a beer such as Tactical Nuclear Penguin should be drunk in "spirit sized measures".

A warning on the label states: "This is an extremely strong beer; it should be enjoyed in small servings and with an air of aristocratic nonchalance. In exactly the same manner that you would enjoy a fine whisky, a Frank Zappa album or a visit from a friendly yet anxious ghost."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/north_east/8380412.stm

Sophie Scholl

Interesting... Maybe I can convince my old boss to buy a bottle and he, myself, and a few of the area beer aficionados will all go in on it.  I love trying out new stuff.  Right now he's doing a different firkin of beer every Thursday.  It's quite fun.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Brazen

Quote from: The Larch on December 02, 2009, 04:48:10 AM
27%? Pfft. Obviously you haven't heard of Tactical Nuclear Penguin:
From the people who brought you...
QuoteBeer faces ban over label message

An 18.2% beer made by a controversial Scottish brewery should not be be sold by bars, clubs and shops across the UK, a watchdog has ruled.

The Portman Group said there had been complaints that a message on Fraserburgh-based BrewDog's Tokyo labels encouraged excessive drinking.

It is issuing a retailer alert bulletin and wants the marketing altered.

The message says people must, from time to time, have excess, and adds: "This beer is for those times."

BrewDog was previously branded irresponsible for Tokyo by Alcohol Focus Scotland.

It then followed it up with a low alcohol beer called Nanny State.

BrewDog then made headlines last week after it launched an even stronger beer at 32% called Tactical Nuclear Penguin.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/8392807.stm