Fake Canadian Lawyer Charged With "Witchcraft"

Started by Malthus, November 30, 2009, 04:21:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saskganesh

another reading is that the criminal code actually *protects* non fraudulent sorcerers and witches. if there is no intent to deceive, then there is no crime.
humans were created in their own image

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Neil on November 30, 2009, 07:22:56 PM
Remember, he's not a real lawyer.

Lately, I'm finding this more and more plausible.  That Marti can't wrap his head around concepts that a first-year law student like Faeelin or even a first-year paralegal student like myself would get makes it really hard to believe he can practice efficiently at all. :blush:
Experience bij!

grumbler

Quote from: DontSayBanana on November 30, 2009, 09:56:16 PM
Quote from: Neil on November 30, 2009, 07:22:56 PM
Remember, he's not a real lawyer.

Lately, I'm finding this more and more plausible.  That Marti can't wrap his head around concepts that a first-year law student like Faeelin or even a first-year paralegal student like myself would get makes it really hard to believe he can practice efficiently at all. :blush:
So the real question is whether or not someone falsely claiming to be a Polish lawyer on the internet is guilty of fraud. I think Marti is counting on a defense based, as he puts it, on the idea that "if you are stupid enough, you could avoid fraud charges by claiming insanity/mental retardation" to keep his ass out of jail, but I would think this interpretation of his is probably also fraudulent.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on November 30, 2009, 06:58:58 PM
Quote from: Martinus on November 30, 2009, 06:02:43 PM
Again, unless priests who do not actually believe in God are also saying they hold mass "for entertainment purposes", this is double standard.

Um...if the psychic does her thing free of charge like Priests holding mass then they do not have to do it "for entertainment purposes only" it is only when they build their business around it that they need to understand they are not actually guaranteeing their powers are real.  I don't see the double standard.  If  a priest was charging for guaranteed miracles then suddenly he would open himself up for fraud as well.

You do not need to "guarantee" that the effect will occur 100% to be considered a fraud. If a doctor says to a patient that a medical procedure has only 10% chance of success, whereas in fact it has no chance of success and he knows it, then he is committing a fraud as well.

And priests do charge money for "intentional" masses, at least in the catholic church.

And besides, how is what you are saying relevant to the story we are talking about. She gave him a tarot reading to leech money out of him via other ways - it's not about her doing some witchcraft ritual and charging money for it - it's about her exploiting his religious views to make him give her money "voluntarily". What else is a collection platter being passed around during a mass if not exactly that.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Martinus on November 30, 2009, 05:32:40 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 30, 2009, 05:30:48 PM
I think Marty's point is how do you non-fraudulently practice sorcery.

Exactly. The whole concept is retarded and seems like a way to introduce penalisation of "witchcraft" through backdoor, while not holding the mainstream religious superstition to the same standard.

So you understand it then.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

Quote from: saskganesh on November 30, 2009, 07:18:56 PM
Quote from: Malthus on November 30, 2009, 07:04:14 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 30, 2009, 06:47:49 PM
How the fuck do you get free food or hotel rooms by pretending to have suitcases? :huh:

I have ... absolutely no idea.

I'm assuming that there is some historical reason for that part, having to do with blocking off some (then) common scam.
its probably related to some hotels not renting rooms unless you had luggage, and not requiring you to pay until you checked out.

so if you had fake baggage, you could swindle a free room, posing as a legitimate traveller. when you left the hotel, you would leave your empty bags behind in your room, so hotel staff would not think you were actually leaving.

hotel food would be part of the tab.

Okay, that makes perfect sense.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

grumbler

Marti, donatism hasn't been seriously considered for maybe 500 years.  Good luck finding a lawyer who will take up your case for fraud against religions.

Your whine seems more to me like complaining that Edward James Olmos was committing fraud during the filming of Battlestar Galactica because he didn't really believe he was Commander Adama.  The fact of the matter is that no one is paying these people  (actors or priests) based on their ability to believe.  One pays them based on their ability to make one's self believe.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Quote from: grumbler on December 01, 2009, 09:31:36 AM
Marti, donatism hasn't been seriously considered for maybe 500 years.  Good luck finding a lawyer who will take up your case for fraud against religions.

Your whine seems more to me like complaining that Edward James Olmos was committing fraud during the filming of Battlestar Galactica because he didn't really believe he was Commander Adama.  The fact of the matter is that no one is paying these people  (actors or priests) based on their ability to believe.  One pays them based on their ability to make one's self believe.

My complaint is really about double standards. Pretty much, you are right, but the same applies to "witchcraft scam" - if witchcraft works, then someone performing a ritual should achieve a desired effect whether he or she believes in what he/she is doing or not. If it doesn't, then his or her personal belief is irrelevant.

I don't see why in this day and age law should protect people who get "scammed" by people claiming to perform magic and sorcery.

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on December 01, 2009, 09:37:58 AM
My complaint is really about double standards. Pretty much, you are right, but the same applies to "witchcraft scam" - if witchcraft works, then someone performing a ritual should achieve a desired effect whether he or she believes in what he/she is doing or not. If it doesn't, then his or her personal belief is irrelevant.
This does not always follow.  Witchcraft is a means to accomplish a specific end (like surgery but unlike saying mass).  If the end cannot be accomplished by the means one is being paid to use, then one is committing fraud.  If it can be but simply is unsuccessful in this case, then one isn't committing fraud so long as one has warned the customer as accurately as possible that this could be an outcome.

Whether one calls one's self a witch, doctor, lawyer, or priest has little to do with the legal definitions of fraud.

Now, you are correct to the extent that, say, a Navajo "Singer" may not really believe that he or she is calling on the spirits to ease the suffering of the subject of the sing, but rather believes that the subject's belief in the power of the sing will yield the desired results.  This isn't fraud, though, even though it is done for monetary gain.

QuoteI don't see why in this day and age law should protect people who get "scammed" by people claiming to perform magic and sorcery.
I wouldn't argue that it should either.

Bayraktar!

merithyn

Quote from: grumbler on December 01, 2009, 10:16:42 AM
Witchcraft is a means to accomplish a specific end (like surgery but unlike saying mass).  If the end cannot be accomplished by the means one is being paid to use, then one is committing fraud.  If it can be but simply is unsuccessful in this case, then one isn't committing fraud so long as one has warned the customer as accurately as possible that this could be an outcome.

Whether one calls one's self a witch, doctor, lawyer, or priest has little to do with the legal definitions of fraud.

Now, you are correct to the extent that, say, a Navajo "Singer" may not really believe that he or she is calling on the spirits to ease the suffering of the subject of the sing, but rather believes that the subject's belief in the power of the sing will yield the desired results.  This isn't fraud, though, even though it is done for monetary gain.

She read Tarot cards. Doing so is just like the Navajo "singers" you cite. The person reading usually has little vested interest other than to help or guide the person being read to. That they take money to support their livelihood (and some think it helps the person being read to believe in it more, as it's the "sacrifice") doesn't make it any more, or less, fraud than any other such antics.

It is a religion with a belief system that is meant to help those who follow it.

The fraud comes from taking money for those things that she had no intention of providing, not from the card reading. I find it ridiculous that they would add that charge, not because I care what happens to her, but because it's a slap in the face to those who truly do believe in such things. It's an antiquated law that doesn't belong on the books anymore.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on December 01, 2009, 11:22:12 AM
The fraud comes from taking money for those things that she had no intention of providing, not from the card reading. I find it ridiculous that they would add that charge, not because I care what happens to her, but because it's a slap in the face to those who truly do believe in such things. It's an antiquated law that doesn't belong on the books anymore.

Like most laws it was a reaction to some outrage or another.  Maybe it came about after WWI when mediums and other antics were sweeping the western world...I don't know.  It doesn't seem to do anything above and beyond what would logically already be illegal.

As for a slap in the fact to people who believe in witchcraft, I doubt any actual wiccans are in favor of fraud being committed in their names.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DontSayBanana

Quote from: grumbler on December 01, 2009, 10:16:42 AM
This does not always follow.  Witchcraft is a means to accomplish a specific end (like surgery but unlike saying mass).  If the end cannot be accomplished by the means one is being paid to use, then one is committing fraud.  If it can be but simply is unsuccessful in this case, then one isn't committing fraud so long as one has warned the customer as accurately as possible that this could be an outcome.

:yes: Also, in that case, you're skirting on trade secrets in the form that the illusion of ritual must be maintained for the sing to be effective.

Also, Marti, there's a difference between "donation" and "payment for services."  A donor has no reasonable expectation of return, and is simply voluntarily providing money for the furtherance of a cause or the continuation of the status quo.  However, once it becomes a sale of services, the customer is obligated to pay based on the seller's obligation to provide the service paid for.
Experience bij!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Martinus on December 01, 2009, 02:14:27 AM
And priests do charge money for "intentional" masses, at least in the catholic church.

Yes, they do in fact intentionally hold masses.  Which is exactly what the people who attend the mass expect them to do.

You have a very odd concept of fraud in Poland.

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on December 01, 2009, 11:29:12 AM

As for a slap in the fact to people who believe in witchcraft, I doubt any actual wiccans are in favor of fraud being committed in their names.

Wiccans are only one facet of modern witchcraft. There are plenty of other types of pagan-style religions blossoming everywhere, and I would guess that all of them are a little tired of their religious practices being equated to fraud. Otherwise, the little "for entertainment purposes only" wouldn't be necessary. :contract:

merithyn

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 01, 2009, 11:33:47 AM
Quote from: Martinus on December 01, 2009, 02:14:27 AM

Yes, they do in fact intentionally hold masses.  Which is exactly what the people who attend the mass expect them to do.

You have a very odd concept of fraud in Poland.

He's referring to a mass being said specifically for someone, i.e. a sick loved one, a family member who has died, etc. In many Catholic churches even today it's common to pay for such a request.