PS3 vs XBOX: FIGHT

Started by Warspite, November 30, 2009, 12:39:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What should Arkestra buy

Pee ess three
ecks bocks

Tamas

Quote from: Martinus on December 02, 2009, 06:07:59 AM
The thing with the XBox vs. PS3 debate is this: 2 years ago when I was buying a console and asked the same question, people used the same argument: "Sure, XBox may have more and better games now, but PS3 is the console of the future".

2 years later they are saying the same - interpret this as you will but to me, considering how cheap both are and that you are likely to buy a new console in 2-3 years from now anyway, I'd get XBox. PS3 seems like a dud.

For a non-hardcore gamer like you or me, PS3 is the better choice. You bought an Xbox because that faggotty Fable 2 was only for that :P

Warspite

" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Martim Silva

Quote from: derspiess on December 01, 2009, 11:28:44 AM
Do you have the newer PS3 slim?  I heard that while it consumes less power & fixes the audio issues like you mentioned, it takes twice as long to load a blu-ray movie.

The slim, 250Gb version.

Yes, it has a smaller power consumption, does not make noise while playing, and is able to play DTS/HD and TrueHD sound formats, something lacking in the earlier PS3.

Load times are roughly the same, it only takes about 4-5 seconds more than the OPPO BDP-83 to load most movies.

The slim is basically a significant upgrade from the older PS3. I guess Sony thinks there won't be a fourth generation console war in the next few years...

(which is why I always found PCs superior on all fronts - they're always upgrading).

P.S. as for picture quality, the PS3 and Xbox 360 are the same, but if you hook the 360 with a VGA cable (instead of a component or HDMI one) that links to the TV via the PC socket, the picture quality becomes very crisp and pleasing.

I have no idea why.

derspiess

Quote from: Martinus on December 02, 2009, 06:07:59 AM
2 years later they are saying the same - interpret this as you will but to me, considering how cheap both are and that you are likely to buy a new console in 2-3 years from now anyway, I'd get XBox. PS3 seems like a dud.

I wouldn't call the PS3 a dud.  Now the PSP Go-- *that* is a dud.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Martim Silva

Quote from: Warspite on December 02, 2009, 11:44:39 AM
PS3 it is then.

Start buying the HDMI cables... you'll need them.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

derspiess

PS3 it is then.

I've decided I'm definitely buying one as well within the next month.  Might be a while before I buy any actual PS3 games for it, however.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: derspiess on December 03, 2009, 11:20:39 AM
PS3 it is then.

I've decided I'm definitely buying one as well within the next month.  Might be a while before I buy any actual PS3 games for it, however.

I'll likely do the same thing soon, though I'll be forking out for a used first-gen 60GB model, since I do have over a dozen PS2 games and no PS2.

derspiess

Quote from: vonmoltke on December 29, 2009, 08:31:59 AM
I'll likely do the same thing soon, though I'll be forking out for a used first-gen 60GB model, since I do have over a dozen PS2 games and no PS2.

I keep going back & forth on that.  On one hand, if I got an older one, I could ditch my PS2 & would also be able to run Linux on it, which may or may not be pointless but I want to do it for the sheer geekiness of it.

On the other hand, the smaller size & reduced power consumption for the newer version is also attractive.

derspiess

My brother bought a 120gb hard drive to replace his puny 20gb 360 drive, and gave me the 20gb drive since he no longer had any use for it.  Always ready for a new project, I figured I'd do a little hardware hacking.  I bought a 2.5" 250gb drive on buy.com for $55.  Had to flash the firmware on the drive & spoof the serial #, but after a few short minutes I had 238GB of storage in my Xbox.

Had to put my 60GB drive back for the time being, until my transfer cable comes in & I can move all my game saves & other files.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: derspiess on December 29, 2009, 10:17:42 AM
Quote from: vonmoltke on December 29, 2009, 08:31:59 AM

I keep going back & forth on that.  On one hand, if I got an older one, I could ditch my PS2 & would also be able to run Linux on it, which may or may not be pointless but I want to do it for the sheer geekiness of it.

On the other hand, the smaller size & reduced power consumption for the newer version is also attractive.

Since part of my justification for a PS3 is to not replace my PS2, the first gen looks much more attractive. :P