News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

4 Cops gunned down in Washington coffee shop

Started by jimmy olsen, November 29, 2009, 06:56:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Huckabee might just be the best person in American politics right now.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Caliga

Well, that's why I'd never vote for Huckabee no matter what nor who he is running against.  Ministers/former ministers should not be allowed anywhere near public office. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Neil on December 04, 2009, 09:24:33 AM
Huckabee might just be the best person in American politics right now.

In the future, Seedy will get offended.  You will each choose 18-year-old female champions, and the matter will be settled through Jello wrestling by proxy.
Experience bij!

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on December 04, 2009, 08:52:35 AM
An interesting article on Huckabee's pardons gone wild:

http://www.salon.com/opinion/feature/2009/12/02/huckabee_and_god_and_clemmons/index.html
Sounds like Huckabee got unlucky with making the right decision for the wrong reasons.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: grumbler on December 04, 2009, 07:12:25 AM
Herzfeld sounds an awful lot like some of our moaning Languishites, and Huckabee a lot like some of the quicker-witted ones.. and it is the quicker-witted ones that make this place worth coming back to.

Unfortunately, neither set could survive high level political scrutiny.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

This article told me a lot more about Gene Lyons quotemining gone wild than it did about Huckabee's pardons gone wild.  Lyons is shown to be a confirmed hack, while Huckabee is just a suspected one.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 04, 2009, 10:15:02 AM
No one can.  If you are going to fail, though, fail for being witty rather than for being pompous.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

Quote from: grumbler on December 04, 2009, 10:20:41 AM
This article told me a lot more about Gene Lyons quotemining gone wild than it did about Huckabee's pardons gone wild.  Lyons is shown to be a confirmed hack, while Huckabee is just a suspected one.

Did you miss the recent presidential campaign where Huckabee ran on intelligent design and eliminating the income tax and the estate tax? It's confirmed.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

Quote from: grumbler on December 04, 2009, 10:22:06 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 04, 2009, 10:15:02 AM
No one can.  If you are going to fail, though, fail for being witty rather than for being pompous.

Obama seems to have managed. So maybe I was wrong. As much as we flatter ourselves otherwise, association with Languish isn't as damaging as videotape of your pastor saying "God damn America!" :unsure:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

I personally love it.  The Country Attorney is obviously a twit (talking about his "standing objection to clemency requests" and suggesting that the governor clear all such requests through him, the local prosecutor) who deserved the scorn he got.

QFT - I can't believe a prosecutor would write a letter like that to his state's governor. The guy has no business in being in such a position of responsibility and discretion.  If that is the kind of person explaining to the state board why clemency should be denied, it is no wonder it was granted.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Scipio

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 04, 2009, 12:06:12 PM
I personally love it.  The Country Attorney is obviously a twit (talking about his "standing objection to clemency requests" and suggesting that the governor clear all such requests through him, the local prosecutor) who deserved the scorn he got.

QFT - I can't believe a prosecutor would write a letter like that to his state's governor. The guy has no business in being in such a position of responsibility and discretion.  If that is the kind of person explaining to the state board why clemency should be denied, it is no wonder it was granted.
Huckabee's legal advisor's response was incomprehensible, inasmuch as it suffered in the English language department.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 04, 2009, 12:06:12 PM

Absolutely.  Maybe this is explained by the prosecutor being elected himself, but I would never, ever right such a letter to a politician.  I work for them, not the other way around.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Fate

Quote from: alfred russel on December 04, 2009, 10:37:05 AM
Quote from: grumbler on December 04, 2009, 10:20:41 AM

Did you miss the recent presidential campaign where Huckabee ran on intelligent design and eliminating the income tax and the estate tax? It's confirmed.

Grumbler misses a lot.

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on December 04, 2009, 09:35:46 AM
Well, that's why I'd never vote for Huckabee no matter what nor who he is running against.  Ministers/former ministers should not be allowed anywhere near public office. :)

Good thing you don't live in Britain.  Their all ministers or something.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

QuoteConvicted in 1985 of raping a Forrest City cheerleader at knifepoint,

Hawt.

Quoteforcing 11- and 12-year-old relatives to strip naked and fondle him while he pronounced that he was Jesus.

Nawt as hawt.  Unless you're a certain Euroweenie.  But I doubt he'd pronounce himself Jesus.