Snow Leopard rabble rabble rabble

Started by MadImmortalMan, November 25, 2009, 07:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HisMajestyBOB

Huh, it would've been useful if I'd known that so I could view .pptx files MS Office on the one computer with Vista at my school made. Fortunately, Vista has since been removed from that computer - not long after I'd gotten familiar enough with it to access my USB drive and use Powerpoint  and IE8; not a small feat when everything is in Korean.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on November 29, 2009, 09:35:39 PM
Quote from: grumbler on November 29, 2009, 08:12:23 PM
Our brilliant tech geeks at school upgraded the MS Office software on the Macs in the Mac lab (bought for us by a parent who is an Mac fanatic, so I can't complain).  The result is a file system that Windows software (on every other computer in the school save those in the art department) does not even recognize these files as files!  :lmfao:

When I asked the tech goobers what they were thinking by introducing software that basically made the teachers' and students' lives hell for a week until we figured out what happened, they just shrugged.  I love tech people who consider themselves completely divorced from the mission of the organization!

Is this because of Office 2007? I really don't get why M'Soft did that...especially because they have a free conversion patch that you can add.
No, you can just get a translator to translate Office 2007 to Office 2003 and earlier.

The is the latest version of MS Office for Mac (not 2007, 2009, or 2010 or anything like that), and is not even recognized by windows as having a file system (no suffixes, and that blank file look that says such file system can be read).  You cannot even look up the extension on the 'net because Windows does not see an extension.

It is wacky.  I can tell the students how to open their docs on the mac and then save their documents in a format they can turn in to me, but less tech-savvy teachers just tell the kids that their file is unreadable and they need to do it again.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!