Is there any reason why Vista users should upgrade to Windows 7?

Started by Monoriu, November 25, 2009, 02:34:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

:lmfao: Why would they pay me to tell people it's not vital to upgrade?  Upgrading = more money for Microsoft.  Not upgrading = no money for Microsoft.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

MadBurgerMaker

Naw not really, like Cal says.  I guess if you're using one of the 32 bit Vistas and want to have a 64 bit OS, that would be a good reason.  Or if you're trying to run Vista on a 386 like Grey Fox and Tyr apparently are.  Otherwise?  Eh.

Grey Fox

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on November 25, 2009, 08:26:05 AM
Naw not really, like Cal says.  I guess if you're using one of the 32 bit Vistas and want to have a 64 bit OS, that would be a good reason.  Or if you're trying to run Vista on a 386 like M. Fox and Tyr apparently are.  Otherwise?  Eh.

I7 920, GTX 285, Asus Mobo with 8 PCI Express 16x.

This shit is crazy fast, yet Vista sucks on it.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 25, 2009, 08:27:13 AM
I7 920, GTX 285, Asus Mobo with 8 PCI Express 16x.

This shit is crazy fast, yet Vista sucks on it.

Well...how long does it take to boot up?  What programs are starting up, etc?  My falling apart piece of shit is less than one minute from beep to desktop with things like evemon, winamp, and poweriso starting at boot.  Vista Bidness is the shit though.

Grey Fox

It's probably vshield slowing it down but my Win 7 partition also has it & it isn't as slow.

MadBurgerMaker

Maybe.  Out of curiosity, if it's significantly faster with your particular setup, why not just use 7 all the way, since you already have it and all?  Still in the "testing" phase?

DontSayBanana

7's better for notebooks; my laptop got an hour and a half battery on high performance under Vista, up to two and a half on power saver.  Under 7, I'm getting two hours on high performance and three and a half on power saver.  The power management's better, and the boot time's shrunk, lowering the amount of battery that's exhausted during boot, so you get both increases.

Also, I find that 7's wireless network discovery works MUCH better.  I was having issues with spotty networks on Vista, and those same networks are being discovered, connecting, and remaining connected with less problems almost all the time now.
Experience bij!

Grey Fox

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on November 25, 2009, 09:14:27 AM
Maybe.  Out of curiosity, if it's significantly faster with your particular setup, why not just use 7 all the way, since you already have it and all?  Still in the "testing" phase?

Because of people screaming "don't upgrade". We have (as a business) to keep supporting Vista. So I have to keep using it.

Josquius

I've had it on pretty OK computers. All of which showed massive performance boosts when they were fixed with windows xp

On the subject of 7 I'm getting it free through uni but have to download and burn it myself. Which is the 32 bit one: X64 or X86? I know 64 bit is x86:64 but...thats both numbers.
I'm going to install it on my desktop at christmas I think but unsure on my laptop: is it better than XP or just less bad than vista?
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

viper37

I have Win7 and Vista on various sytems.  Win7 is better, but not that much.  Stick with Vista for now, unless you have a 32bit system.  Next time you change your computer, get Win7.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Pedrito

b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot: