And we're back!

Main Menu

Dragon Age: Spoiler free

Started by Berkut, November 23, 2009, 09:55:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on November 24, 2009, 08:11:41 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 23, 2009, 08:46:32 PM
You ever beat the Witcher?  I'm still playing it, and haven't had a chance to start playing Dragon age.  The problem with the Witcher is I'm not a big fan of RPGs where you don't get to make your own character.  And well, Gerry the Witcher isn't that likable.  He's like the power fantasy for a 13 year old boy claims that nobody understands him.
yeah, I played the game through to the end, and enjoyed the ending.  I understand not all the endings are that satisfying, though.

The Witcher isn't so much an RPG as an interactive movie wherein you have some influence over the main characters actions and lines.  The director has assigned the part to you, but you don't get to say exactly what that part is (though you can interpret the part a bit).  Once you establish that mindset, then things like the inability to step over even the smallest walls isn't so irksome.  There isn't much immersion in the game, but the story and other characters are pretty well-done.

This is my impression as well.  The atmosphere and plot are great.  There are quite few interesting surprises (and not so interesting surprises).  There is a tad to much running back and forth and it's annoying when Geralt makes some deductive leap like he's privy to information that you aren't.  The reverse is also true sometimes but that's typical of computer games.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Monoriu

Quote from: Caliga on November 23, 2009, 09:58:44 PM
Warning: Shale is buggy.  <_<

The first time I got Shale, it is not talkable in camp.  All the talent descriptions were screwed up too.  I had to reload a save before I got Shale.  For some reason it worked fine the second time I got it.

Jaron

I finish the game last weekend, but I have very little incentive to replay it as someone new. Anyone else feeling that?
Winner of THE grumbler point.

grumbler

Quote from: Jaron on November 24, 2009, 09:50:22 AM
I finish the game last weekend, but I have very little incentive to replay it as someone new. Anyone else feeling that?
I will play the intro stuff for each origin, and that's it.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: Jaron on November 24, 2009, 09:50:22 AM

Nah I will probably keep playing it until Mass Effect 2 comes out.  I plan on playing it through once with each origin but I probably will lose interest long before then.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

I'm still convinced the game is horribly unbalanced... I typically play on Normal and handle most battles without difficulty, but there's the occasional battle that I think "how on earth did the designers expect people to survive this?"  Example: I just did a fight that starts off with three blood mages (one of which is 'yellow'), and then halfway through the battle a bunch of mobs plus a FOURTH blood mage ('yellow' as well) bursts into the room, of course once everyone is hurt really bad and mana is depleted. :bleeding:

When I come to a battle like this, I've given up even trying to put together a strategy and just do it on Easy difficulty.  Fortunately this is maybe 5% of the game's battles--even most boss battles I can do on Normal without a problem.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on November 25, 2009, 06:27:18 AM
I'm still convinced the game is horribly unbalanced... I typically play on Normal and handle most battles without difficulty, but there's the occasional battle that I think "how on earth did the designers expect people to survive this?"  Example: I just did a fight that starts off with three blood mages (one of which is 'yellow'), and then halfway through the battle a bunch of mobs plus a FOURTH blood mage ('yellow' as well) bursts into the room, of course once everyone is hurt really bad and mana is depleted. :bleeding:

When I come to a battle like this, I've given up even trying to put together a strategy and just do it on Easy difficulty.  Fortunately this is maybe 5% of the game's battles--even most boss battles I can do on Normal without a problem.

Is this the house/side quest? There is a lot of grease on the floor - just set it on fire (either with spells or fire bombs) and voila - you have a blood mage BBQ.

Martinus

I also think that crowd control is extremely important in some fights. This comes easily for mages, but other classes have the opportunity too - for example rogues with high enough stealth can set up traps or use bombs but most people (myself included) are too lazy for that, so we complain that some fights are impossible. :P

DisturbedPervert

Sometimes I think you just have to use a rogue to scout out everything and pull them to a safe location to fight them in small groups. 

Caliga

Quote from: Martinus on November 25, 2009, 07:13:05 AM
Is this the house/side quest? There is a lot of grease on the floor - just set it on fire (either with spells or fire bombs) and voila - you have a blood mage BBQ.
I know about the grease and have tried that but still couldn't beat the fight on Normal.

Caliga

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on November 25, 2009, 07:24:47 AM
Sometimes I think you just have to use a rogue to scout out everything and pull them to a safe location to fight them in small groups.
I used that strategy earlier in the same 'dungeon' (easily took care of a pack of Mabari that way), but still just couldn't hack that one battle.

Grey Fox

It just takes time & a lot of running back.

The Deep roads, now that's hard. I think the first group killed me 5 times.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

I am willing to repeat a fight up to five times or so if I develop a strategy over the course of the fight and improve each time, but if I try a fight roughly three times and can't figure out a way to improve by the third try, the difficulty gets dialed down temporarily.

DisturbedPervert

I've done that a couple times too.  I try to avoid it though, as I forget to raise it back up to normal.

Caliga

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on November 25, 2009, 08:00:51 AM
I've done that a couple times too.  I try to avoid it though, as I forget to raise it back up to normal.
I've only forgotten one time, and the next battle was so easy I definitely remembered to bump it back following that one.  My parties are always mage heavy and typically the lack of friendly fire is what clues me in, as I am fond of fireballs, cones of cold, and infernos.  :cool: