News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Credit card scam

Started by Monoriu, March 29, 2009, 09:10:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

My dentist has a hand machine but other than that I haven't seen one in ages.

I didn't bother to look at the copy underneath! :o

Monoriu

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on March 30, 2009, 09:05:26 AM
The last time I signed something with a carbon copy was for my notebook.  I've never had one for restaurants, supermarkets, games, clothes, etc.

Ahh.  Almost every credit card receipt here is a carbon copy.  One copy for the merchant, one for the customer.  If the waiter places a third copy underneath these two, I won't be surprised if many people can't detect it. 

garbon

Quote from: Monoriu on March 30, 2009, 08:23:23 PM
Ahh.  Almost every credit card receipt here is a carbon copy.  One copy for the merchant, one for the customer.  If the waiter places a third copy underneath these two, I won't be surprised if many people can't detect it. 

If you notice the mistake in your statement, you can't tell your credit card company that it was not a legitimate charge? I think most credit companies would find it suspicious that you paid for two separate meals at the same time, at the same location, on the same card.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Monoriu

If you notice the mistake in your statement, you can't tell your credit card company that it was not a legitimate charge? I think most credit companies would find it suspicious that you paid for two separate meals at the same time, at the same location, on the same card.

Credit card companies are scum.  They once charged me twice for two meals at the same time, at the same location, on the same card, AND WITH THE SAME AMOUNT.  Obviously the restaurant staff, either by mistake or by design, charged me twice.  The card company at first insisted that it was my fault, and there was nothing they could do, unless I could prove that I didn't sign two bills. 

I eventually got the second charge reversed, but you won't believe the kind of titanic effort that I had to go through.  That's one of the reasons I hate to use credit cards. 

garbon

Oh that doesn't happen here (or at least I've never had that happen).  My bank once froze my credit card because I'd had trouble at the gas pump and had made two separate charges on my card at the same gas station.

Other than that, credit card companies are pretty good at removing charges if you say they weren't authorized.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

katmai

Quote from: garbon on March 30, 2009, 09:01:14 PM
Oh that doesn't happen here (or at least I've never had that happen).  My bank once froze my credit card because I'd had trouble at the gas pump and had made two separate charges on my card at the same gas station.

Other than that, credit card companies are pretty good at removing charges if you say they weren't authorized.

Yep just reason #1,000,001 why Mono needs to get out of that shithole.  ^_^
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 30, 2009, 03:37:58 PM
My dentist has a hand machine but other than that I haven't seen one in ages.

Most places that take plastic (which is almost everywhere, now) keep 'em around as a backup if the comm lines are out.  Well, the places that have taken plastic for years anyway.  Places that just started accepting cards within the last few years never had the hand machines to start with.

Korea

Maybe this is why Ide argued that Mississippi is better than China.  :huh:
I want my mother fucking points!