IBM Researchers Go Way Beyond AI With Cat-Like Cognitive Computing

Started by jimmy olsen, November 19, 2009, 08:13:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fate

Quote from: grumbler on November 20, 2009, 03:54:41 PM
Quote from: Fate on November 20, 2009, 12:23:49 AM
I really don't understand the GOPtard tendency to latch onto the mentally retarded. First Palin, now you...
You don't need to understand it.  Just wait, and a GOPtard will latch on to you.

Will you be my GOPtard?  :wub:

grumbler

Quote from: Fate on November 20, 2009, 04:46:35 PM
I really don't understand the GOPtard tendency to latch onto the mentally retarded. First Palin, now you...
You don't need to understand it.  Just wait, and a GOPtard will latch on to you.

Will you be my GOPtard?  :wub:
Alas, while you qualify as the mentally retarded half of the partnership, I don't qualify as the GOPtard part.

Hang in there, though.  I suspect that there are more GOPtards than mentally retarded people, so there should be a GOPtard left by the time they get around to you.   :punk:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 19, 2009, 08:13:05 PM
Humanity ending in a machine holocaust seems to get more likely every passing day.
I disaree, it gets less likely with developments like these.
Its stupid robots we have to be fearful of, not clever ones.
██████
██████
██████

PDH

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 19, 2009, 08:13:05 PM
Humanity ending in a machine holocaust seems to get more likely every passing day.
Wait, why would a holocaust of machines lead to humanity ending?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ideologue

I've never really heard a great explanation for how to get to a machine-driven extermination of humanity.

I mean, no computer has the capability of caring for itself.  Take Skynet.  Where did Skynet get the factories to build Terminators and time machines?  Who's the retard who gave one AI with the experience of a tiny child the ability to launch nuclear weapons (and even then what happened to all the other nuclear weapons in the US inventory, that would not be controlled by machine--the SLBMs and the airborne nukes?)?  How did Skynet survive and prosper following the infrastructural collapse post-exchange?

Any AI we built would rely on electricity generated by outside means, which are ultimately in the hands of humans; it could not clean or repair itself or build other machines that could, nor could it reproduce itself or expand its own capabilities without the consent and deliberate action of a human handler; it would have no capacity for self-defense, unless we did something stupid like give it robotic machine-gun-wielding minions, and give it the ability to lock the doors to its own complex, and other stupid things; and no one with sense would give a computer the untrammeled ability to launch nukes, and even if someone did, it would probably die with the humans it sought to kill.

Artificial life isn't remotely threatening, because they don't have the advantage of being shaped by natural selection into a form capable of resisting and utilizing its own environment.  Artificial life would be parasitic on humans until we decided to grant them control over energy resources and production facilities, which we would only do on our own terms.

In keeping with the thread, I'd actually fear a global alliance of cats destroying humanity more than an emergent AI.  Cats might be much stupider, but at least they have the means to self-repair, obtain their own energy, and inflict harm.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on November 21, 2009, 08:29:56 PM
I've never really heard a great explanation for how to get to a machine-driven extermination of humanity.
Agree, although for different reasons.
QuoteI mean, no computer has the capability of caring for itself.  Take Skynet.  Where did Skynet get the factories to build Terminators and time machines?
That's why shit like this always happens in the future.  The idea is that robots would end up doing many menial tasks in the future in order to eliminate labour unions.
QuoteWho's the retard who gave one AI with the experience of a tiny child the ability to launch nuclear weapons
They didn't originally know it was self-aware.
Quote(and even then what happened to all the other nuclear weapons in the US inventory, that would not be controlled by machine--the SLBMs and the airborne nukes?)?
They are presumably still there.
QuoteHow did Skynet survive and prosper following the infrastructural collapse post-exchange?
In the original conception, it probably didn't nuke itself.  With the software Skynet, one must assume that there were levels of survival that Skynet was willing to stoop to, and that the greatly reduced processing power of the remaining networks was able to keep them alive.
QuoteAny AI we built would rely on electricity generated by outside means, which are ultimately in the hands of humans; it could not clean or repair itself or build other machines that could, nor could it reproduce itself or expand its own capabilities without the consent and deliberate action of a human handler; it would have no capacity for self-defense, unless we did something stupid like give it robotic machine-gun-wielding minions, and give it the ability to lock the doors to its own complex, and other stupid things; and no one with sense would give a computer the untrammeled ability to launch nukes, and even if someone did, it would probably die with the humans it sought to kill.
Computer-controlled locks do exist in real life.
QuoteArtificial life isn't remotely threatening, because they don't have the advantage of being shaped by natural selection into a form capable of resisting and utilizing its own environment.  Artificial life would be parasitic on humans until we decided to grant them control over energy resources and production facilities, which we would only do on our own terms.
And here's where you start being correct.
QuoteIn keeping with the thread, I'd actually fear a global alliance of cats destroying humanity more than an emergent AI.  Cats might be much stupider, but at least they have the means to self-repair, obtain their own energy, and inflict harm.
That would be silly.  Cats are no real danger.  Humans are apex predators.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 19, 2009, 08:13:05 PMHumanity ending in a machine holocaust seems to get more likely every passing day.

Just pop them on the nose or spray them with some water and cat AI machines will fuck right off.  :smarty:

grumbler

Quote from: Ideologue on November 21, 2009, 08:29:56 PM

I mean, no computer has the capability of caring for itself.  Take Skynet.  Where did Skynet get the factories to build Terminators and time machines?  Who's the retard who gave one AI with the experience of a tiny child the ability to launch nuclear weapons (and even then what happened to all the other nuclear weapons in the US inventory, that would not be controlled by machine--the SLBMs and the airborne nukes?)?  How did Skynet survive and prosper following the infrastructural collapse post-exchange?
I think the answers to these questions are the same:  the plot doesn't need to consider such things, and so it wishes them away.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

I absolutely love this idea.  I want one of the cute blonde ones.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Razgovory on November 22, 2009, 10:00:03 PM

I absolutely love this idea.  I want one of the cute blonde ones.
From your mouth to God's ear.

Bayraktar!