News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Plan for human mission to asteroid gains speed

Started by jimmy olsen, November 24, 2009, 03:59:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Jaron on November 25, 2009, 03:27:03 AM
We have shit to take care of on Earth first.
Like the coming rare metal shortage that will cause our hi-tech economy to collapse. To avoid this we must mine the asteroids. :contract:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Alatriste

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 25, 2009, 03:31:55 AM
Like the coming rare metal shortage that will cause our hi-tech economy to collapse. To avoid this we must mine the asteroids. :contract:

Somehow I guess digging deeper on Earth and/or mining the ocean waters is bound to be quite cheaper...

Neil

Quote from: Alatriste on November 25, 2009, 06:12:50 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 25, 2009, 03:31:55 AM

Somehow I guess digging deeper on Earth and/or mining the ocean waters is bound to be quite cheaper...
Correct.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

I'd rather have my taxes pay for interesting shit like this than welfare for trailer trash and health care for sickly old people.  There's nothing interesting about either of the latter two.  :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Neil

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 25, 2009, 08:23:47 AM
Another goddamn waste of my taxes.
Since they don't tax you very much, it behooves you not to whine too much about what they spend it on.  Especially when they're the only thing keeping the black people in your state from rising up, storming your property, murdering you and turning your family into slaves.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 25, 2009, 01:36:11 AM
They've already been contracted to build the Orion space capsule. There's not much else that needs to be built for a simple mission like that.

To be fair, they're talking about somewhere around 2024 and have only completed the preliminary design review, so there's still an insane amount of stuff that could get in the way and scrap the mission (such as more POTUSes taking away more funding from NASA, for example).
Experience bij!

Jaron

Timothy, you can't seriously think mining asteroids could ever hope to satisfy demand for raw materials on Earth. Even if we did that, are not asteroids a very limited source? With modern tools even I imagine we could blast one to pieces in a matter of days and ship it all back to Earth. Within a couple years (at best), the entire asteroid belt would be gone.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Neil

Quote from: Jaron on November 25, 2009, 09:51:40 AM
Even if we did that, are not asteroids a very limited source?
No.  The availible mass of asteroids is enormous.

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

syk

Quote from: Alatriste on November 25, 2009, 06:12:50 AM
You never know...  :cthulu:

PDH

Quote from: Caliga on November 25, 2009, 08:31:15 AM
I'd rather have my taxes pay for interesting shit like this than welfare for trailer trash and health care for sickly old people.  There's nothing interesting about either of the latter two.  :(
Let's solve both problems and shoot trailer trash out to the asteroid belt.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM