And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa's Ocean is Oxygen Rich

Started by jimmy olsen, November 19, 2009, 06:55:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 19, 2009, 10:12:20 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 19, 2009, 07:08:25 PM
That is the worst possible thing the human species could ever find.

:huh:

We're talking animals, not an alien civilization.

No, you don't understand.  Finding any non-terrestrial lifeforms that is not flying in a space ship is extremely bad.  It means that life is more common.  The more common life is the chances of actual extra-stellar travel decrease.  The Galaxy is really, really big.  It's got alot of stars many of which are much older then our Sun.  How ever, you'll notice there is a lack of alien space craft bothering us on Earth.  Some factor is preventing this.  What this factor is isn't known. It could be that suitable planets are very rare.  It could be that life is very rare or even unique.  It could be that tool building species are rare.  It could be that it's impossible to reliably travel between stars.  As a species we have moved past most of the these factors.  If the factor is that space travel is very hard or impossible then we are screwed.  If the factor is that life is rare we might be in the clear.  The discovery of life in outer space would reduce the number of possible factors limiting the number of spaceships in the Universe.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

I think aliens would kill us a lot quicker than the Sun fading out.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Razgovory on November 20, 2009, 01:02:46 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 19, 2009, 10:12:20 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 19, 2009, 07:08:25 PM
That is the worst possible thing the human species could ever find.

:huh:

We're talking animals, not an alien civilization.

No, you don't understand.  Finding any non-terrestrial lifeforms that is not flying in a space ship is extremely bad.  It means that life is more common.  The more common life is the chances of actual extra-stellar travel decrease.  The Galaxy is really, really big.  It's got alot of stars many of which are much older then our Sun.  How ever, you'll notice there is a lack of alien space craft bothering us on Earth.  Some factor is preventing this.  What this factor is isn't known. It could be that suitable planets are very rare.  It could be that life is very rare or even unique.  It could be that tool building species are rare.  It could be that it's impossible to reliably travel between stars.  As a species we have moved past most of the these factors.  If the factor is that space travel is very hard or impossible then we are screwed.  If the factor is that life is rare we might be in the clear.  The discovery of life in outer space would reduce the number of possible factors limiting the number of spaceships in the Universe.

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 20, 2009, 01:18:16 AM

The question is not will aliens kill us.  The question is is our species terminally tied to the Sun.  Life found on Europa would indicate yes.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadBurgerMaker

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on November 20, 2009, 01:43:54 AM
We'll be dead, who cares, Raz?

I am civic minded.  I am concerned about the propagation of the human race.  As a gay I'm not sure you would understand that.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on November 20, 2009, 01:31:44 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 20, 2009, 01:18:16 AM

The question is not will aliens kill us.  The question is is our species terminally tied to the Sun.  Life found on Europa would indicate yes.

And I'm saying I'd rather we die out in a few billion years than next Thursday.

Josquius

I sort of agree with Raz. If we've two animal bearing bodies in the same solar system though then that really increases the odds of such worlds being more common around nearby stars. Which in turn does increases the odds of civilization.
However I wouldn't get to the same conclusion as him.a
If advanced life is common then even if space faring aliens discover we exist they've no reason to be too interested. We're just one amongst thousands of primitive races.
Or it could just be that civilization isn't too common (look at how long it took people to get that idea....especially industrial civilization)/
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on November 20, 2009, 05:34:12 AM

Or it could just be that civilization isn't too common (look at how long it took people to get that idea....especially industrial civilization)/

Uhm, compared to Earth's age, civilization just popped out in an instant.

Eddie Teach

How do we even know there aren't spaceships around already? As impressive as Google Earth is, I'm sure an interstellar civilization would be able to hide from our satellites. I don't agree that life on Europa says anything to suggest long distance space travel is impossible.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 20, 2009, 06:08:33 AM
How do we even know there aren't spaceships around already? As impressive as Google Earth is, I'm sure an interstellar civilization would be able to hide from our satellites. I don't agree that life on Europa says anything to suggest long distance space travel is impossible.

Aliens wouldn't bother hiding.  They'd be meddling and manipulating us all they could.

Oh wait....

Caliga

Quote from: Razgovory on November 20, 2009, 02:24:16 AM
I am civic minded.  I am concerned about the propagation of the human race. 
Which of course you have been working hard at huddling in your basement bunker.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Warspite

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 20, 2009, 06:08:33 AM
How do we even know there aren't spaceships around already?

Prime directive :contract:
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA